cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital Voice & adapter issue

Go to solution

Having spent 1.25 hrs with a helpful and persistent engineer, we think we have solved and issue with digital voice and the adapter.  I changed my network password to one I have used for some years and which all my devices and all my family know.  However it seems the adapter only works with the original supplied password (BT hub2)!  We both found this extremely surprising, so if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be very keen to hear them.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital Voice & adapter issue

Go to solution

@IxM 

The adapter connects via DECT not wireless, so changing the wireless password would make no difference.

What is more likely is that either resetting or restarting the home hub, or pressing the WPS button at some time, perhaps to setup a wireless device, has resulted in the adapter linking to the home hub.

The WPS button is dual purpose and used for Wi-Fi setup and DECT pairing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the move and reply pointing out the DECT connection rather than WiFi.   The adapter was always paired correctly (at least the solid green light was showing) for all of the tests and checks, the hub was restarted numerous times and the WPS pairing was made several times.  HOWEVER I have changed the password back again and the landline still seems to work, so clearly you are right, but I don't understand what was happening.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

There must be other users with DV that have changed their wireless password, without issues.

The IP routing may have been lost, and then whatever you did, restored it. Possibly a change of public IP fixed it?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks again Keith.  I don't understand the technology well enough, so I'll revert to the, "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die".

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@IxM wrote:

Thanks again Keith.  I don't understand the technology well enough, so I'll revert to the, "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die".

Unfortunately the technology is not very resilient, and its possible for a network routing to be "lost", and the phone connection to fail, needing a reset at one end or another. Its never going to be as reliable as a physical copper connection back to equipment in the exchange.

Its not the first time BT Retail have tried this type of connection.

0 Ratings