cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital Voice - how to go back to normal landline

I had FTTP and later on Digital Voice was forced on me. No choice in the matter.   (I now hear that DV rollout has been halted as it is not as robust as advertised. )  DV is OK plugged into the phone socket of the Smart Hub 2 .. BUT it does create golden handcuffs in that you can't opt to use a different router to the supplied Smart Hub 2.   I am no experiencing router wifi problems and so the only alternative is a new router / mesh... but I'll lose my voice line.

So the question is - how do I get my analogue phone line back?  I didn't want to give it up and now I am unfairly stuck with a sub par tech.

BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital Voice - how to go back to normal landline

You can't

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

You can go Broadband Only and move to an alternative VoIP provider. BT Digital Voice is not stopped and nor is this Industry Wide change to close the PSTN by 2025. What has happened is that BT Consumer have temporarily paused their mass migration to their own VoIP service to improve the process, where industry stop sells are in place (particularly on full fibre areas) BT Consumer may still need to move you onto their VoIP service before they resume their own mass migrations again. Other communication providers are continuing with their own move away from the PSTN.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The problem is my voice + Broadband service is now tied to the Smart Hub 2. I am not able to use 3rd party router as they can't support BTs DV... that sounds unfair - especially as DV has no merits above copper.

BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Nothing stopping you using a third party VoIP provider

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The PSTN is closing hence why BT Consumer have moved you to their own VoIP service called BT Digital Voice. If you look at the other big communication providers their own VoIP service too requires you to use their own router for their own VoIP service to work.

As already said you can use a 3rd party VoIP service provider. 

0 Ratings