cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Digital Voice - how to go back to normal landline

After a village wide power cut put all the Digital phone lines down and mobile service in the village is poor, we were unable to contact help.

For that reason i want to go back to a Landline that worked 24/7.

Do i need to change providers as my BT contract is about to run out.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Digital Voice - how to go back to normal landline

once you have moved to DV then no way back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Mobile service with all providers? How long was the outage?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@PK3 

There are no more analogue phone connections available from any provider, as the analogue phone network is closing down.

This two page article may help to explain it https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@PK3 

The UK's telecommunication industry is currently undergoing a Digital Switchover and moving away from traditional analogue phone services. (See the link Keith has posted)

There are options out there that enable you to make emergency calls in a powercut once moved to a digital (Internet based) phone service.

Have a search on the forum for UPS or battery backup devices for other forum users perspectives.

You can also speak to BT customer service to order a battery backup (UPS) device or a hybrid phone (which switches to mobile network automatically) if suitable in your area.

More information on BT's specific digital voice service can be found at: 

Ofcom have also written some guidance on the digital switchover: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls

Here's also some other useful information:

0 Ratings