cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Digital Voice with BT Smart Hub 2 in bridge mode

@WSHwrote:

You don’t need the DMZ setting unless you allow unsolicited incoming traffic for gaming/your own server etc.  Normal browsing, email, TV and, (at least my), VPN work fine without.

You do if you want to add decent routers to the BT junk.

Been there, done that. Next to nothing works if you just slap router on to router.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

@michaelkenward wrote:

The FAQ that you have been advised to consult seems to be all about the Smart Hub2. That may not be much help for the Business Hub.

Obviously, as (a) this is the residential forum and more importantly (b) DV ONLY works with the Smart Hub 2

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

@licquoricewrote:

@michaelkenwardwrote:

The FAQ that you have been advised to consult seems to be all about the Smart Hub2. That may not be much help for the Business Hub.

Obviously, as (a) this is the residential forum and more importantly (b) DV ONLY works with the Smart Hub 2

If you read the first question from @dushan you will see that they said:

As a test, I have managed to source a BT Business Smart Hub 2 which I am able to put in bridge mode and directly replace the Zyxel modem, and so keeping the rest of my setup exactly the same. All is working fine with residential FTTC and landline phone.

I thought it courteous to mention that in my reply. Isn't it normal practice around here to cover all the ground?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Your complaint was that there is nothing in the FAQ regarding the Business Hub, why would there be?

If you had read the thread you would have noticed I had already commented regarding using a business hub in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

@licquoricewrote:

Your complaint was that there is nothing in the FAQ regarding the Business Hub, why would there be?

Complaint?

Weird.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

@michaelkenward 

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I currently run a Draytek next to the SH2 for DV and have no problems with the DMZ disabled.  Several years ago, when FTTC/VDSL first appeared, I was running a Billion 7800 ADSL router through a Home Hub 5, before anyone even talked about DMZ Hosts.  Again, never had a problem in the two years I ran that set up.

You only need the DMZ setting as a lazy way to port forward for unsolicited incoming traffic and that in turn is only needed for gaming, running your own servers etc.  But, as I said, each to his own.  If you find the DMZ Host useful by all means, use it.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

It probably depends on what you plan to do.

Netgear's routers come with all manner of bells and whistles that are far easier to use if you have the router in charge. The Netgear  Nighthawk app, for example for remote management, let alone subscription services like parental controls.

I got the impression from @dushan that they had a network that hinged on an R8000P. (It isn't for me to tell them that this is an old and troublesome router, but it does support some of Netgear's bells and whistles.) So I was just explaining how I managed to get a BT modem/router to play ball and let me use a Netgear router with two Mesh satellites and 6 GHz wifi. And having done so, I can assure you that this approach is anything but "a lazy way to port forward" anything.

The use of DMZ is an almost daily suggestion over in the Netgear equivalent of this place. The preferred options are either to have a modem-only box or a modem/router in bridge mode.

BT hates it when people try the former – it refuses to even look at network issues without a Smart Hub in place. And bridge mode is not possible with BT's modem/routers.

I guess it boils down to what @dushan wants to do. Giving more choices might help in that decision.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

There are only 2 choices when moving to FTTP. DV or not  DV.

If not, no other device is needed, the Netgear connects directly to the ONT.

If DV then the SH2 must be connected to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

@licquoricewrote:

There are only 2 choices when moving to FTTP. DV or not  DV.

If not, no other device is needed, the Netgear connects directly to the ONT.

Good point. Could be the cue to ditch my phone line account. After all, it was only there when I needed fax access and had a dial-up modem.

Think I'll take that line when Digital Voice gets here.

Not sure what it does for @dushan, but thanks for the thought. Much appreciated. Might even be the prompt to say farewell BT/EE.

0 Ratings