cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 71 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

I have my Netgear router and extenders connected to my SH2. The Netgear router is set up as an access point with the extenders connected as usual. The Netgear router is wired to the SH2 and that acts as the link to the fibre broadband and the Digital Voice. Until other manufacturers start making routers with Digital Voice included I think we are stuck with using the SH2 and a second router if we want to use other kit.

0 Ratings
Message 72 of 400

Go to solution

Hi, I have a Fritz box and that would work with DV but for BT's current reluctance to allow us to use our own kit to access the service we pay for.  It will happen at some point. 

0 Ratings
Message 73 of 400

Go to solution

@guidoliguori wrote:

Hi, I have a Fritz box and that would work with DV but for BT's current reluctance to allow us to use our own kit to access the service we pay for.  It will happen at some point. 

That is unlikely, due to security issues. You do not pay for the phone service unless you use it, and its optional anyway. The price is the same with or without a phone number.

You are free to use a third party VOIP provider if you wish,

0 Ratings
Message 74 of 400

Go to solution

@guidoliguori No it won't. Only the BT hub works with DV.

You can use the Fritz box for everything else except DV.

0 Ratings
Message 75 of 400

Go to solution

thank you both "distinguished sages" and your passive-aggressive styles.  Perhaps if you read what I wrote.  The reason why we can't use a third party kit is that BT will not let us.   Simple as that.  If they allowed us the login details then it would be possible as we could configure routers correctly.    At some point, they will have to i.e. when all of the UK moves to DV.    Presently, it isn't in their interests, but one can hope.  🙂 

Message 76 of 400

Go to solution

Perhaps you should read what you wrote, that the Fritz box is capable of providing the DV service, it isn't.

The whole of the UK isn't served by BT, there are countless ISP's all of which will either provide their own proprietary version of VOIP or leave it to the customer to use a third party VOIP provider.

0 Ratings
Message 77 of 400

Go to solution

You assume that BT are using SIP, they do not need to, because the 64/128Kbs audio bandwidth requirement is easily implemented using the PCM slots allocated to the existing BT Exchanges, its just a case of changing the network routing to insert it into the digital stream to the customer, and converting the slot(s) to analogue, within the BT Smart Hub 2. Doing it this way, avoids the echo effect that can make VOIP calls unpleasant, it also ensures superb quality calls, and high security.

Other providers will no doubt implement their own solutions.

BT used to have a Broadband Talk service which did use SIP, and the quality was variable, even though they had dedicated servers. It was also insecure, as it was possible to extract the login details and use it on other devices, so steps had to be taken to authenticate to to Homehub itself. The service was discontinued many years ago.

Message 78 of 400

Go to solution

Lots of people seem to have their network kit downstream of the SH2 with it all working away merrily.

Can anyone outline the major pitfalls with this configuration?

Many thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 79 of 400

Go to solution

The main problem is that the SH2 will be routing and natting. So the downstream device will either be double natting or just acting as a WiFi access point depending whether connected LAN to WAN or LAN to LAN

0 Ratings
Message 80 of 400

Go to solution

Yeah, the major pitfall is that it's like putting a VW Beetle engine in your Porsche.  It will still get you about, but won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. 

Basic, bog standard, web surfing and a bit of gaming - SmartHub good.

Fancy stuff, sub-nets, guest accounts, etc. etc.  - SmartHub bad. 

Fancy stuff, etc. etc. downstream of a SmartHub - waste of time, effort and money  -  about as much use as a waterproof teabag.