Did you mean: 
Message 201 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

liquorice

Distinguished Sage

on ‎02-01-2022 19h47

If BT were breaking Ofcom regulations the lawyers would be all over it like a rash.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your view seems to presuppose that Ofcom is a proper regulator, red in tooth and claw.  With technical competence deep enough to not be swept away by the merest hint of techno babble from a BT hack.

In practice Ofcom is too busy investigating complaints about Piers Morgan and weighing BBC impartiality to the nearest nano-gram to dig into the needs of a comparatively small percentage of land line & fibre broadband subscribers.

I wouldn't wish to surmise that your chomping hoard of lawyers are in the main an impotent bunch, who would struggle to make a living even as ambulance chasers.  But the track record of looking after the small folk isn't great.  The best they could offer when I made contact was to say "complain to BT".  Been there, done that.

While we're at it, will someone please tell me how to reply to a post as a quote instead of having to copy and "spoof"?  I don't know if it's just Firefox and my firewall+add blocker but I don't have that option available.
0 Ratings
Message 202 of 400

Go to solution

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon Just click on 'Reply' on the post you wish to quote and then on the quotation marks in the toolbar.

quote3.jpg

Message 203 of 400

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon Just click on 'Reply' on the post you wish to quote and then on the quotation marks in the toolbar.

quote3.jpg

Lol - thanks for the heads-up. Trying to quote a post had me stumped too! 😐

0 Ratings
Message 204 of 400

Go to solution

Success!  Many thanks.

I didn't have quotes on my toolbar (must be a Firefox thing) but managed to get it by expanding to two rows.

0 Ratings
Message 205 of 400

Go to solution

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeonwrote:

Success!  Many thanks.

I didn't have quotes on my toolbar (must be a Firefox thing) but managed to get it by expanding to two rows.

It isn't a FF thing.   You have to hot the ellipsis button to see quotes on all browsers AFAIK - certainly chromium based browsers.

0 Ratings
Message 206 of 400

Go to solution

Interestingly that option does not appear on mobile devices - just desktop.

0 Ratings
Message 207 of 400

Go to solution

I am in the exact same position. I don't know if this is completely stupid but could you not go from the ONT to an unmanaged network switch then one port to SH2 then the other to a different router?

0 Ratings
Message 208 of 400

Go to solution

No, of course not. You can't connect 2 routers directly to a modem.

0 Ratings
Message 209 of 400

Digital Voice - Some Useful Info (I hope)

Go to solution

I've been setting up my sooper-dooper ASUS router and testing pass through on the SH2 as per all the good advice in this thread, ready for the fateful day when Openreach tell me I'm getting DV whether I want it or not.  It's do-able, but a massive hassle and I'm not convinced I wouldn't be grizzling at some point.

But this week, everything changed when my old, copper voice line bit the dust and I had to call BT to report the fault.  I knew what was coming next, or so I thought.  I was half expecting to find that DV had been activated, copper had been disconnected and I was back into the SH2 dark ages.

A really, really helpful BT call handler was able to tell me not only that I had a DIS fault and he would get an engineer out, but also the following, which I hope folks might find interesting:

"I CAN SEE ON YOUR ACCOUNT THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO ORDER FOR DIGITAL VOICE.  I CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVEN'T ORDERED THE FREE DECT HANDSET WE OFFERED.  BEFORE DV GOES AHEAD THERE IS A CHECK ON THE LINE  TO SEE IF THE SYSTEM CAN SEE A SMART HUB. 

IF IT CAN'T SEE SH2 AND IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT THE HANDSET, THEN DIGITAL VOICE CANNOT PROCEED."

I can also offer big thanks to the Openreach engineer (not a contractor this time) who diagnosed dead copper, got me a dial tone back temporarily and then opted to replace the entire copper length to sort it once and for all.  This time he put it in the new duct that had been placed for fibre and did all new JB & terminations in the UG box in the road outside. He explained it all, involved me in the diagnostic, treated me like a customer not an inconvenience and even turned down repeated offers of a cuppa.

I now have a crystal clear land line, on the wall beside the ONT exactly where I want it and I'm a very happy bunny.  The SH2 is in a box in the loft.  Just in case.

0 Ratings
Message 210 of 400

Re: Digital Voice - Some Useful Info (I hope)

Go to solution

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon wrote:

"I CAN SEE ON YOUR ACCOUNT THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO ORDER FOR DIGITAL VOICE.  I CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVEN'T ORDERED THE FREE DECT HANDSET WE OFFERED.  BEFORE DV GOES AHEAD THERE IS A CHECK ON THE LINE  TO SEE IF THE SYSTEM CAN SEE A SMART HUB. 

IF IT CAN'T SEE SH2 AND IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT THE HANDSET, THEN DIGITAL VOICE CANNOT PROCEED."

I now have a crystal clear land line, on the wall exactly where I want it and I'm a very happy bunny.  The SH2 is in a box in the loft.  Just in case.

Until 2025 when you will be left with no service at all.

0 Ratings