cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 281 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

@Dave-Helston 

That’s  because the computer you are running the browser on idoes not have an IP address in the 192.168.2.x range. You have to change that also to see the device again. If you are using DHCP on the device then it’s usually just a reboot - or just temporarily give it an up address in that range manually.

0 Ratings
Message 282 of 400

Go to solution

Hello

BT have just put me on Digital voice

I would like to use my Modded Netgear R7800 as it does loads of extras that the SH2 does not
Separate 2.4 and 5 channels, guest channel, Adguard built in to name a few

I have read and read the various guides and failed to get this working

Could anyone provide a step by step specific for the R7800 ?

I still have concerns using the DMZ (as has been pointed out previously) so may go the VOIP route - I have looked at the various offerings and these seem as complicated as setting up the SH2 with my Netgear R7800 !
all I want is a VOIP provider to give me a similar 700 mins as BT with a hands free handset or 2 in a package for a similar price as BT - They all seem to be very business orientated and not very home user friendly

Any help much appreciated 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 283 of 400

Go to solution

There is absolutely no need to put anything in the DMZ.

Simply connect the Netgear WAN port to one of the hub LAN ports.

Make sure you have either configured the Netgear WAN port manually with an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub with a gateway address of 192.168.1.254 or configure it for DHCP whereby it will get its address from the hub. Do not configure the WAN port as PPPoE, as that is being handled by the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 284 of 400

Go to solution

Hi all,

So I'm a bit confused.  I don't have copper running to my home, my phone is plugged directly into the ONT, surely this is digital voice?

Typical BT style, I have had no warning '4 weeks before the change' I just received 2 emails saying to return my Smart Hub 2 as they are going to send me a Smart Hub 2, go figure!

Looks like I will have to piggy back my AX86U as per the advice in this forum.

One question though, if you set the Smart Hub 2 to 192.168.2.254 and the AX86U to 192.168.1.1, wouldn't you have to use the subnet 255.255.0.0 rather than 255.255.255.0?

My head hurts,

Richard

0 Ratings
Message 285 of 400

Go to solution

Only if you have devices connected to both subnets and wish them to talk to each other as well as the internet.

0 Ratings
Message 286 of 400

Go to solution

"My head hurts"

Me too !!!

Message 287 of 400

Go to solution

So just an update, I followed the instructions mentioned earlier in this thread and it all works perfectly following them. What I did was:

BT Smart Hub - WiFi off, IP of Hub 192.168.2.254, Smart Conect thing Off, IPV6 on, Firewall Off.

ASUS RT-AX86U - IP of router 192.168.1.1, WAN to Static IP 192.168.2.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.2.254, IPV6 to Passthrough.

It is like the BT Smart Hub isn't there and all is as it was before. Same speeds, pings etc. 

Thanks,

Richard

0 Ratings
Message 288 of 400

Go to solution

Richyboy, if you have  voice via the ONT that is different to BT Digital Voice, that is OpenReach  Fibre Voice, a product you can't get anymore.  Fibre Voice Access (openreach.co.uk)

So your Router is not part of the function and should be able to use any router without it affecting your voice from the ONT

0 Ratings
Message 289 of 400

Go to solution

I am assuming that @Richyboy1974  is about to be moved to DV and is preparing the way.

Message 290 of 400

Go to solution

Sorry folks, yes it's the case I'm being moved to DV so just getting everything set up ready for the switch over.