cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 221 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

@mhop74 wrote:

@Tom20001 @licquorice Thanks for the replies (and my mistake on the SH numbering).

Its possible to set up the Netgear Orbi to work only as a wifi network and disable the routing functions.  So maybe I can just use the SH2 as a router / DECT base station and not for wifi. 

It might work but is not really satisfactory.  And very frustrating that Support are so lacking in clue.

You can either set the Orbi up as a wireless access point and let the hub do the routing or turn off DHCP and wifi on the hub and connect it to the Orbi WAN port and let the Orbi do the routing and wifi. You will be double natting in that configuration though.

I have informed the mods that the helpdesk are still giving out incorrect information.

0 Ratings
Message 222 of 400

Go to solution

@mhop74 

That will work. Some folk are very precious regarding their own routers and insist on using them and get very frustrated the SH2 has no proper mode to disable its router functions.

0 Ratings
Message 223 of 400

Go to solution

The hub having a bridge mode wouldn't help anyway as there then wouldn't be access to the IP layer needed for Digital Voice which is VoIP.

Message 224 of 400

Go to solution

@mhop74wrote:

I currently use BT Full Fibre, with my landline delivered over copper.  I use a Netgear Orbi router and mesh wifi network.  This week I was email by BT to say that they will be moving by voice line to Digital Voice, ..................................

You have 4 options:

1. Use the SH2 naked and lose all the benefits you (presumably) bought the Netgear Orbi to get.
  2. Use the SH2 with lots of stuff switched off, the Netgear handling DHCP etc. and hope it all works.  Look back over the last 20 pages or so to see how to do this, what settings to change and how to implement them.  There are several very helpful posts from people who have succeeded.  You can try it before DV comes live and keep your fingers crossed.
  3. Call BT and ask to speak to the fibre technical team, who in my experience are remarkably helpful and understanding folks.  Tell them that you need an exception to digital voice, want to keep copper and have a good reason ready.  They accepted mine, put it in the system and warned me that Openreach might ignore it anyway.  They haven't yet.
  4. Don't unplug the Netgear, don't plug in the SH2 and don't order the free DECT phone(s).  See my post a couple of pages back.  I was told that if the system at their end can't see an SH2 then DV cannot proceed.

0 Ratings
Message 225 of 400

Go to solution

See message 210

0 Ratings
Message 226 of 400

Go to solution

@manchego thanks for this, I have followed your instructions using a velop mx5300 router but can't get IPV6 to work. It does have a passthrough option but won't work whilst there is a static IP on the WAN. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 227 of 400

Re: Digital Voice - Some Useful Info (I hope)

Go to solution

Whilst this might still work with copper, it appears not to on FVA,  I have just this last weekend switched contracts and was offered a digital voice phone, I said no thank you as I use my own router and plug my phone into the ONT, the cutomer service lady (loyalty dept) was actually brilliant throughout the call but did state it would be OK as was still an internet line (sort of).... Anyhow, the new line went live on friday, today (Tues) the FVA line is dead... my SH2 is still in it plastic wrapping (as was the previous one and disc they sent me last time)......
 Although not a deal killer, it looks like I'm going to be messing about with routers and trying to order my new super phone that I didn't really want in the first place...

I would just like to add, I am not blaming any of this on the CS lady at all, she was absolutely brilliant in dealing with my issues... 

0 Ratings
Message 228 of 400

Go to solution

not sure how CS did not tell you that FVA was being superseded by DV and that existing connection would not work.  you can still connect existing phone to green socket on back of SH2

if you phone CS 150 or 0800800150 from mobile you should be able to order a DV phone - either 1 advanced phone or 2 essential phones was the offer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 229 of 400

Go to solution
Thanks, saves me digging about for the number.....
0 Ratings
Message 230 of 400

Go to solution

Firstly, a big big Thank you and thumbs up to @manchego for his pictures and explanations on how to configure this... I too have the Asus AC86U with a second unit in mesh mode, I have avoided DV as long as possible but the implementation was forced upon me with a recent change in package....
 Couple of things I noticed along the way, I am currently using the standard AsusWRT f/w and it is virtually identical to the MerlinWRT shown in the pictures, the only thing I couldn't see was the MTU value (as seen in the pic)... Also, because I am no expert in these matters I found it quite tricky going through several posts trying to get things right... so much so, beginners mistake, I kept the BT SH as 192.168.1.XX instead of changing it, did everything else and wondered why I had no internet access (user error)... Logging back into the Asus, it actualy warned me of an IP conflict and asked if I wanted to rectify, it did this automatically and changed the Asus network to 192.168.2.XX... everything then binded as it should (except my Brother printer that had a static IP, again Brothers own software sorted this easily).... One thing I will add, and it was mentioned in an earlier post that I missed.... When adding port forwarding and IPv6 rules, you have to press the + button before it can be saved, having not used a BT router for a few years I forgot (DOH)..... However, all sorted now and everything working as it should, I am on the Essentials package and getting 74.6Mbs / 21.4Mbs (74 / 20 advertised) even the built in Ai-protection works. I have doen various tests, VPNs work fine, DNS is going to cloudflare and IPv6 works as it should.
 Once again, a big big thank you to all that have contributed, especially those that uploaded pictures, and if you're still not sure whether you want to partake or are slightly scared to (I was), the reset button is your friend if you **bleep** it up.
 It would be good if one of the mods (if they are not too busy (hahahaha)) could take the positive set-up posts and make a new pinned with them, or if @manchego could do a separate, detailed write up with his brilliant method and pics
 I will also P.S. this with the fact I do like the new phone service... Take away the negatives about no internet / power, no phone (I had this problem anyway due to all my current / previous phones being DECT), but with the new advanced freebie, the line is really clear, I was on FVA before and have noticed a distinct difference in quality, PITA having to enter all the numbers manually but it is what it is.... the 8600s, despite being DECT, do connect ,but cannot be used for dialling out (line error), but do receive calls... I like the corner with less clutter so will not be hardwiring them to the router, but may add another digital phone later.... Also had an email last night, stating my old FVA number is being ported onto the DV line too...
 Apologies for the long post, but had to give credit where it was due

0 Ratings