cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 371 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

There are multiple choices of how to connect the devices. LAN to WAN, either with 2 subnets or turn off DHCP and WiFi on the hub and just use the Orbi for everything or LAN to LAN with the Orbi in access point mode.

0 Ratings
Message 372 of 400

Go to solution

@benb 

Do you already have a SH2?  If so then there is no need for a new SH2..  phone CS 03301234150 and request your free advanced phone or 2 basic phones

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 373 of 400

Go to solution

@licquorice ideally I want to keep the Orbi as the router (although for other reasons I'm using a Raspberry Pi as my DHCP) so is that the setup explained by @choppyc back in post #3?

@imjolly yes I have got a SH2, I forgot I had it. It's not connected as I've been totally happy having just the Orbi do everything.

Shame BT didn't think to just supply VOIP units with ethernet 

0 Ratings
Message 374 of 400

Go to solution

@benb 

if happy continuing with ORBI then you don't need the SH2 in the cupboard and if not using the SH2 then DV phones are useless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 375 of 400

Go to solution

@benb 

Hi, my original post was to show that a 3rd party router could be used with BT digital voice, any router can be used but the SH2 must be the first router in the chain or DV won’t work, hope this helps

Message 376 of 400

Go to solution

Exactly.

As stated there are multiple ways of connecting the devices together, the one exception is that it is not possible to use the SH2 as the second device in any configuration if you wish to continue using DV. The SH2 MUST be the first device connected to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 377 of 400

Go to solution

Thanks everyone. 

I do want DV and also want to keep the Orbi so I'll set up the BT hub as 1st device but turn everything off on it, and then set up the Orbi as the router. 

0 Ratings
Message 378 of 400

Go to solution

Good news!   Someone woke up at BT and got their act together.

Background - I opened the email this morning telling me that I'm getting I'm getting DV and it will be wonderful.  I thought I'd dodged a bullet over 2 years ago when this first came up and I had a long, long series of calls with the BT fibre team who were awesome but were pretty much stuck with "Openreach will do what they want, but we'll try".    I got DV back heeled that time and the SH2 has been gathering dust ever since.  In the meantime I've even had a new copper line installed to replace the old one which bit the dust one sunny day!

So I called BT today, having girded by loins in advance ready for the fight.  I'm now out of fixed contract so can take my business elsewhere if I need to.    I politely told the operative that I was getting DV and don't want it.  "No problem," she said, "I'll defer that for you now".   

"What, no problem, no argument, no hassle?  It was horse work last time."     

"Nope.  I can do it for you, it's all easy now".

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs, as we say in these parts.  She couldn't guarantee that it was permanently deferred but said just phone back if you get another automated e-mail and we'll sort it again. 

So there you have it.  Or not, if you don't want it.

If anyone is aware of an available or forthcoming BT/Openreach solution for DV that doesn't need to use SH2 as the sole connection and preferably also, has UPS functionality, please post details.  In the meantime, long live copper voice!  😊

0 Ratings
Message 379 of 400

Go to solution

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon wrote:

In the meantime, long live copper voice!  😊

It won't live that long, it will gone in less than 2 years.

0 Ratings
Message 380 of 400

Go to solution

I'm sure someone said that two years ago.  Maybe it was you.  🤔     And yet, here we are.

0 Ratings