cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Digital voice and FTTP with Openreach ONT modem

Go to solution

Hi,

I received the letter saying that I will be moved to Digital Voice. It mentions about I can use my phone if I plug it into the Smart Hub2.

However, I have FTTP with a Openreach fibre (ONT) modem. The phone cable comes from the modem plug output into a standard phone socket, which is the internal wiring to where my DECT phone is plugged into. There isn’t any other connection to the outside world except for the fibre.

So as I see it, I don’t need to plug into the back of my Smart Hub 2, I can leave it in as is i.e. plugged into the Opeanreach fibre modem.

Is my understanding correct? Or would I need to still need to connect to the Smart Hub 2 by removing the phone cable from the Openreach fibre modem and plugging it in the Smart Hub instead?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Digital voice and FTTP with Openreach ONT modem

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@Outdoorsbloke 

I had a traditional copper service to which was added FTTP. So I had copper phone and fibre internet.  That was converted to DV the other day. DV must be used in conjunction with phone output on the Smart Hub 2 or by DECT again using Smart Hub. There is no alternative. 
Edit. It’s actually not either/or socket/DECT. Both can be used. I have my hub socket connected to home extension network which has a Panasonic Base Station on it. On receiving a call the Panasonic and BT DECT phone both ring. If I answer one someone else in the house can ring out on the other. I don’t actually know if it can handle two incoming calls. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@Outdoorsbloke 

The connection for phone in ONT will no longer work when changed to DV so you will need to connect dect base station to the phone socket on back of SH2. Alternatively you can ask BT for DV adapter which plug into a mains socket, pair with SH2 then connect your existing dect base to adapter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.