cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage!

Brought to my attention today  that when landline is connected via the so say - ‘all singing all dancing ‘ ???Digital Voice that during any power outage I.e. the widely anticipated power cuts over the winter  - I would have to use  a mobile to make or receive calls.  So , ok what about the fact that the mobile signal (EE- owned by BT of course) at my house is weak to non existent and I currently make all calls via WiFi calling - which is not possible of course IF THERE IS A POWER CUT AS THAT TAKES THE WIFI OUT !
i was advised to contact BT as I should be able to get a back-up Battery unit to keep the WiFi connection during power cuts.  But I have now been advised by BT that there is a criteria to be passed before said battery back up is available - and as I do have a mobile I do not qualify!  Yes I have a mobile- but it’s useless without WiFi !   Oh , but I can pay for the back up battery to keep my WiFi connected at a cost of £85   Which I do not consider fair or appropriate.  BT Halo promises to keep me connected ?  So ?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage

your point is nothing new and there are numerous posts on the forum which covers this at length.  maybe another mobile provider gives better reception at your home in the unlikely event of a power cut.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 28

Re: Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage

Hi @Wdj   This has been discussed ad nauseam on the community. It sounds like you have fallen into the what-if trap. There is no guarantee of power cuts, if there was then your beef is with the power companies. The thing about a mobile phone is, well it is mobile.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

We have the same problem. We have no mobile signal and no one is interested. I have contacted my MP. Perhaps that is the way forward

Message 5 of 28

is with a mobile is that the providers are not interested in the 1% who dont have a signal. Maybe it is not possible to travel to get a signal!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

When I questioned BT regarding being changed to Digital Voice and having a non existent mobile So in a power outage situation ( of which we’ve had a few lately) what can BT do? Answer - sweet FA!
Unless you are vulnerable , have particular medical needs etc you do not qualify for a ‘Battery pack’ to be able to still use your WiFi calling . I have a neighbour who has just recently committed a monthly payment for one of those wrist worn emergency call alarms but has been told by BT it won’t work on Digital Voice!! BT are railroading DV through to everyone- no ifs no buts no help ! lump it or leave it 🤬
Message 7 of 28

Correction, it's an openreach change affecting all suppliers so it's not BT retail forcing it through

Message 8 of 28

@outlaw123 

When you say there is no mobile signal at your home is that by your own mobile provider?  Have you checked to see if there is a mobile signal at your home by all providers not just your own?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 28

@outlaw123 

OFCOM provide an easy way to compare the signals available at your location from the 4 main Mobile Network Operators, (all other mobile providers "piggyback" on one of these signals).

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

Ofcom website rendered useless by the statment;"Results are predictions and not a guarantee." 

In other words it won't tell you anything useful.

https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/ will be more accurate.