cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 28

Re: Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage

@outlaw123 

Have you ever tried an old style feature phone? I've found that over the years they can pull in signal where a fancy "smart" phone costing 100x as much can't. Here's an example:

Samsung Galaxy S21+

rbz5416_0-1697356932953.jpeg

Nokia 105

rbz5416_3-1697357262894.jpeg

These are both on the O2 network, side by side. The Samsung has absolutely no signal but the Nokia ha 3 of 5 bars, plenty enough to make a call. I keep the Nokia in the glove box of the car as a backup to breaking down in an area where the Samsung has no signal.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 28

Re: Digital voice and weak to non existent mobile signal - so what do info if there’s a power outage

@rbz5416 

O2 are switching off their 3G network "by 2025":

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/3g-switch-off

AFAIK, the other three MNO's are doing the same - possibly to different timescales?

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 28

Of course I’ve checked other mobile providers ! Fact is where we live there are issues with EVERY provider.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

@Paul608085wrote:

O2 are switching off their 3G network "by 2025".

A popular misconception that this will render 3G phones useless. While they are indeed switching off 3G which will mean no data access, 2G will continue for calls & texts.

Customers using the EE, Vodafone and O2 networks with an older device will still be able to make calls and send text messages after 3G switch-off. These services can use the 2G network, which isn’t being switched off yet.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/3g-switch-off

In any case, the current take on the feature phone like my Nokia 105 supports 4G anyway.

Message 25 of 28

We have FTTH….
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 28

We dont have a mobile mast anywhere near so no signal. We live at the end of a valley in the Lake District.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

I too have a feature phone. It's 23 yrs old, a Nokia and on Vodafone. The signal is always strong and voice calls are very clear. Yet my Sony Xperia and Doro smartphones have terrible network signal probs. One is on Vodafone and the other isn't. Without WiFi Calling I wud have trouble maintaining a connection for calls, but my little Nokia feature phone has never let me down over the last 23 years!! 

Message 28 of 28

@Paul608085 

"a subsidised satellite phone could be the answer."

You are probably right, but who, under the current systems/rules is going to subsidise a satellite phone for @outlaw123  and others like him in a similar situation?

When the mobile phone provider & broadband provider contracts were first awarded to the successful bidders, it was a contractual requirement that these firms provided the service everywhere in the UK.

No one seems to bother enforcing it but, nevertheless, I'm pretty certain that the original contacts still exists in law. 

0 Ratings