cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Do you need a HUB with a landline ONLY?

Go to solution

Hi there,

If someone wants a Landline ONLY, do they need a hub? 

Older person, not interested in any broadband, mobile, tv etc. Just the landline. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Do you need a HUB with a landline ONLY?

Go to solution

@Dragonfyr 

As far as I am aware, a hub with a very low speed connection will be supplied, and the phone will plug into that.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

But is it needed? 

A friend has been given a hub, even though they do not want or need the internet. And, the extra cost of running the hub is not welcomed.

They just want a telephone line. That's it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Dragonfyr and thanks for posting.

If you have Digital Voice you need the smart hub 2. If the line is copper only then you don't need a hub.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

No PSTN connections can be provided, as there is a "stop sell" on them. The hub would not allow Internet access only a phone connection.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Interesting question , with no WLR orders ( products ) available anymore, because they have been removed from sale then any ‘new’ applications for a phone only service or a migration to a phone only service , will have to be using other products ( SoGEA or SoTAP ) these are effectively broadband products that depending on the provider can also deliver an IP telephone service

….Openreach have a very low bandwidth broadband profile specifically for this, it’s only  0.5Mb , but that will handle IP telephony .

What kit  the ISP will provide  is not yet known , in BT’s case they may provide a SH2 router and the customer uses the phone port on it , but that seems unduly extravagant  to supply a piece of equipment ( the SH2 ) that is way more sophisticated than is necessary to deliver nothing more than telephony 

If anyone has been down this route yet , they haven’t posted about their experience on this forum .

If someone objects to having a mains powered ‘router’ to deliver a telephone service ,( about £20 a year to run )  that’s tough , perhaps they would be happier with a mobile phone ( but that would also have a mains charger ) 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@DavidM 

That does not make sense, as there are no more analogue PSTN connections allowed, so how is a phone connection going to be made?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe ,

I'm assuming the OPs friend has a landline. Of course you're correct in any other scenario.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
She just has a phone line and wants to switch to BT.

As far as I'm aware, she has made the switch. But they've sent her a hub. (She does not use the internet or ever will, despite my encouragement to lol xD).

She just wants a landline, and the ability to call her granddaughters mobile and bills n whatnot.

Thanks for your answer, I think that means she doesn't need one
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
It's ok saying 'PSTN Connection', but I have to portray this back to her. Also, "stop sell" on them? Great! That means nothing to me! lol
0 Ratings