cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 61 of 115

Re: Elderly/vulnerable customers without Broadband - Notification of new Digital Voice service

Go to solution

My parents have phone with BT and internet with EE (an arrangement that's been in place since Freeserve days). Presumably BT will lead their switchover and treat them as if they are telephony-only (i.e. in the final phase), especially if BT are unaware that they have third-party broadband (which is more than possible, even though those two companies are now in bed together). Luckily my parents have me to inform them that they'll eventually need to get their internet and phone with the same provider (as I already have) - I'm sure that many people who are still on SMPF won't have a clue. The fact that such customers are now in the minority is no excuse for BT's and other providers' silence on this vital issue.

0 Ratings
Message 62 of 115

Re: Elderly/vulnerable customers without Broadband - Notification of new Digital Voice service

Go to solution
More than the two weeks BT told me today, I then?
0 Ratings
Message 63 of 115

Go to solution

"they'll eventually need to get their internet and phone with the same provider"

Whoah! Why's that?
This is nothing to do with my mother, but is the arrangement I have. I have my landline with BT, and my broadband from another provider who offered much better customer service. Why will I need to change that?

Never heard of SPMF - off to search for that.

0 Ratings
Message 64 of 115

Go to solution
Hmmm - the only SPMF I can find is an open.source data mining framework
0 Ratings
Message 65 of 115

Go to solution
If there's a power socket within reasonable distance you could use an extension lead as a temporary solution
0 Ratings
Message 66 of 115

Go to solution

@blackprince it's smpf

Shared metallic path facility

0 Ratings
Message 67 of 115

Go to solution
OK. What's one of them, how do I know if I have one, and why might it mean I have to have my broadband and voice line from the same provider?
0 Ratings
Message 68 of 115

Go to solution

The simple reason is that your voice service will be provided by broadband therefore it is impossible to separate providers.

0 Ratings
Message 69 of 115

Go to solution

To put it simply, with the current analogue phone system, your phone service terminates in one location and your internet connection in another. These 2 services can be provide over the same pair of wires by 2 different providers.

Once the whole analogue phone system is closed down in 2025 (not just BT, every provider) the 2 services are combined into one service which by definition can only come from one provider.

0 Ratings
Message 70 of 115

Go to solution

I am really failing to understand this.

So when this happens I will stop paying BT for anything and my broadband provider takes over everything?  Will they preserve my BT number?  And everything else just carries on, but without the £20 per month to BT - I will see no other change at all, and just be £250 per year better off?

0 Ratings