cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 115

Re: Elderly/vulnerable customers without Broadband - Notification of new Digital Voice service

Go to solution

@blackprince 

First things to do:

• if not done so already is let BT know about the pendent alarm so it's noted on her account (this will be needed so extra checks and procedures are put in place)
  • Speak to the Local Authority/Private supplier of the pendent alarm to ensure it's compatible and upgraded to work with digital based landlines.

As for the other questions:

1) Will a broadband connect be needed. Yes in order for the phone service to work some form of broadband connection will be installed which may include a router and possible a ONT if in a Full fibre area.

2) What about powercut? Provide your communication provider with the situation and if they have no mobile phone or even mobile signal. The provider will then provide an appropriate solution and guidance. For example BT may offer a battery backup or hybrid phone.

3) What about installations? Again let your communication provider know about the individuals situation and if extra help is needed to set it up.

Message 52 of 115

Re: Elderly/vulnerable customers without Broadband - Notification of new Digital Voice service

Go to solution

The answers to each of your points has been addressed, so if you have read each message you should already know , but to recap .
Yes , IP telephony will require a broadband modem ( not really a router but close enough )
The wired phones around the house will only continue to work if they integrated into the new way the phone service is delivered, however the current rollout to broadband customers can include a DV adapter that converts a wired phone into a DECT ( wireless ) one , but someone with a wired extension phone in every room will need to incorporate the wiring for them to continue to work .
The alarm is a question for the alarm company, alarm companies have been aware of the change for years , the chances are it will operate in exactly the same way as now, but the onus is for the user to check with their alarm provider.
In a power cut the service won’t work unless the modem/router is connected to a battery back up unit ( BBU ) or a uninterruptible power supply ( UPS ) , BT may supply a BBU for those that qualify, or the customer could buy one themselves if this is a concern but they are not deemed to be in a qualifying group

For all that , if your mother has a phone only service , then a migration to DV is likely to be later rather than sooner ( the last date December 2025 ) , there is also a product that may be introduced  for phone only customers where the modem/router ( actually an ATA ) is housed in the exchange building ( the same one that the PSTN equipment has been switched off in ) , in which case there is no practical change at the customer end at all ,same phones , same wiring  , no more affected by power outages than the current system, but it seems no BT phone only customers have actually been migrated to DV , or if they have they haven’t made their experience public , so for BT phone only customers there is likely still to be over 20 months still to go .

Message 53 of 115

Go to solution

@blackprince 

Some useful information here https://landlinesgo.digital/

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 115

Go to solution

@blackprince 

if you have read every post then your questions have already been answered but someone will post answers again

is your mother registered here   https://www.bt.com/help/here-for-you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 55 of 115

Go to solution

Thank you to everyone who has been helpful in clarifying these points - much appreciated.  If those answers were already in the thread, I suspect it needed background knowledge I don't yet have to have realised that.  There's a lot of jargon around this.

If my mother does need some kind of "powered box" (apologies for using the wrong term) to connect her existing phones and sockets to the new service, do know what that looks like and how large it is?  I need to work out.if.we.can somehow fasten it to the wall above the skirting board, or if we need to build some kind of cupboard or.shelving for it.  She's not going to want it sat on the kitchen table near where the main BT socket is.  Also. If it needs power, will the BT installation engineer be arranging that, or is the expectation that we spend our own money on an electrician to do it for her?

0 Ratings
Message 56 of 115

Go to solution
I did try to tell BT about her circumstances today, but they guy on the phone said he couldn't take any information until they have contacted her to say when she will.be moved over.
0 Ratings
Message 57 of 115

Go to solution

I don`t think you are going to get the answers to the questions regarding the location of the "interface" unit, or how its going to be powered, but I would not expect anyone from BT to visit, and I suspect the "interface" unit, whatever its going to be, will simply be delivered by post, and it will be up to the end user to plug it into a suitable mains supply.

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 115

Go to solution
Thanks.
Oh, that's disappointing. I can see this going to cost money, then 😞
0 Ratings
Message 59 of 115

Go to solution
And, more worryingly, it's possibly going to result in my mother being without a phone service if we can't get an electrician sorted between BT telling her she needs this and them cutting off her old service. For all their talk that they are working to make it easy, I feel they aren't actually looking at the impact in the real world
0 Ratings
Message 60 of 115

Go to solution

First of all, as has already been said, it is not finalised what the solution for telephony only customers will be. Secondly, it will be well into next year before telephony only customers are moved to DV. She will be given plenty of notice of the transfer giving ample time to arrange any possible electrical work to be done.