cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Friend w/ electrosensitivity, DV without wireless?

Go to solution

A friend of mine is very electrosensitive and can't live with RF radiation (mobile phone, wifi etc). She uses wired broadband internet over ethernet cable (provider is Plusnet), and has a standard wired analogue phone. Unfortunately she is being switched over to digital voice and is deeply concerned about being forced to use either wifi or DECT to maintain a working phone line. Is there any way to achieve this without Wifi or DECT being on?

I've read up a bit about it to try and help her (I'm a software developer so OK with technical stuff) but I'm unclear:

1.) Is a BT Smart Hub 2 the only internet hub/router that will allow the digital voice service?

2.) If so, can the DECT (and Wifi) signals be completely switched off? (I know her old phone can be plugged in the back of the SH2).

3.) If not, are there any other possible options she has of any sort, to maintain some sort of phone number, while not being exposed to any local wireless/RF signals?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Friend w/ electrosensitivity, DV without wireless?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@ajck 

Its not possible to switch the DECT off but I think you can turn the wireless off. The only real solution is to put the Smart Hub 2 in a Faraday shield.

Take a look at this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/digital-voice-without-using-wifi/td-p/23262...

The phone would need to be plugged into the back of the hub.

There is no other solution to get a phone line, apart from perhaps a third party VOIP provider in conjunction with a route that does not have wireless or DECT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I presume she is intending to move to BT for Digital Voice, if so, she will need to use the SH2 which doesn't have the capability to disable DECT.

It would be simpler to stay with Plusnet for broadband only and use a third party for VoIP using an ATA.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Great thanks, useful info
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks very much for that suggestion, I hadn't thought of VoIP or realised you could use the same number, really helpful thanks. Currently looking at Voipfone which seems to be a good and cheap solution to the whole problem.

0 Ratings