cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 40

Re: Has BT surrendered the landlines to the fraudsters and scammers ?

that link is over 2yrs old and updated https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/ofcom-order-uk-phone-providers-to-further-tackle-spoof...

as previously said still not 100% possible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 40

Absolutely. The OP should not be a cheapskate and buy a BT Advanced phone, it's not rocket science. Talk about cutting of you nose......... by terminating service with someone. If my phone rings I invariably let it go to answerphone and someone legit will leave a message and if not, sod them.

Message 33 of 40

@Jane2018 This is how call blocking/whitelisting phones work.

If the caller is in your whitelist, the call goes straight through as normal. If the caller is not in your whitelist they are given the option to announce themselves and you can then choose to accept or reject the call. Scammers don't announce themselves.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 40

Most people simply want the vast majority of calls to be from those people they wish to communicate with. We have recently given up our landline. In the years before doing so I would estimate the two mobiles in the house had a total of 4 or 5 dodgy calls and our landline had around 100. Yes I did subscribe to TPS not because I thought it would eliminate the problem but perhaps reduce it. It seems to me that there is a problem and some people on this thread are being very defensive. It should be possible to use a phone service without resorting to whitelists especially when, for example, those calling from hospital services hide their number.

Message 35 of 40

We are being defensive because it is totally impossible to stop scam calls, despite some folks thinking that BT run the world's telecoms.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 40

@Jeremy69awrote:

those calling from hospital services hide their number.

Again, you don't understand how call blocking phones work, despite an explanation by @licquorice in the post immediately preceding yours.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 40

I changed our BT phone for BT callblocker phone, and has been brilliant, no longer bothered by these scam calls.

Message 38 of 40

Rubbish, it's not totally impossible.

If BT saw a future for landlines, then they would invest and develop the technology required.

I will be like the rest and end my BT landline contract after 43 years, because I don't want to register with TPS, or make a whitelist, or buy a BT super-dooper phone, or contact action fraud etc, etc, etc

Most will have zero effect.

My primary concern is for the senior generation who are being scammed, day-in, day-out while our main landline provider sits on it's hands.

If the super-dooper phone is so brilliant why don't BT offer to provide one to every landline customer at a subsidised price, especially to older generation ?

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 40

Well I'm that senior generation at 86 and it doesn't bother me one iota. I often have a banter with a person until the get bored and end the call.
Message 40 of 40

Thanks for all the input here guys.

I'm locking this thread as it's starting to go round in circles.

Cheers

David