cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

How to keep 30 year old BT landline number

Go to solution

my current BT contract ends on 14th January 2022 account is in my name but my mum wants to open new BT account/contract in her name as she receives pension credit and can get a cheaper price and better bundle with BT. BT have told us that we could potentially or will lose are 30 year old landline number! But last few days different calls with different BT agent's have varying thoughts as to either we will definitely lose landline or that it can potentially be requested back via openreach but it's not guaranteed!

only way I can think of keeping landline number is to get mum to open account with another ISP eg sky, vodafone, plus net etc, to transfer landline to one of those and then cancel within cooling off period then go back to BT but in mum's name, hopefully this works (confused) 

please anyone have similar or same predicament that can advise best options for keeping landline number with least hassle (confused)

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to keep 30 year old BT landline number

Go to solution

Don't know why you posted in the broadband forum as this is about a landline.

That said, your phone number is attatched to your account in your name you cannot transfer it to someone else. If you close your account the number will eventually return to the pool of numbers given to new customers.

No one can dictate who the recipiant will be.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

What if my mum opened account with another ISP eg nowtv broadband , would our old landline number be transferred over to now TV BB account?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Also what ever happened to the"customer's always right" surely at the end of the day BT or whoever the is ISP should be giving customer what they want, I think it's called "customer satisfaction" especially if BT want customer loyalty, it works both ways. I'm led to believe that this conundrum is not a technical issue but an administrative fau par, which if BT wanted to help they could quite easily resolve, if only they would take time to actually listen to their customers and act upon it, instead of making excuses!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
You be happy to know I will not be posting anything in wrong place for the foreseeable, as I've now joined sky's now broadband, since BT couldn't be bothered to help me keep my landline number 🤭
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I doubt if Sky will keep your number either, especially as the number belongs to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Just literally had confirmation email from now BB with confirmation of my existing landline number, so you couldn't me more wrong 🤗

edited by mod

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I hope your change of ISP to Now broadband goes as you have been promised and you do actually get your existing number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
No thumbs up from me, as no one really helped. But I will give a big fat thumbs down to BT, who don't want to help customers who try to stay loyal but are let down by a antiquated administration system, when so called customer service personnel make excuses instead of being Pro active for the customer! But we know the real reason, it's about shareholders before customers 👎
0 Ratings