cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Incoming Landline Calls

Go to solution

My landline only rings once on incoming calls, and then cuts off.  I've tried plugging in another phone but the same problem occurs.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Incoming Landline Calls

Go to solution

Are you  on BT digital voice?  Is it possible the calls are going to answer machine after 1 ring?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi.  No, I'm not on BT Digital Voice.  A caller told me that the phone rang once, there was a bit of a crackle, and then it cut off.  Did not switch to answerphone.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@SuzanneW 

You have a line fault which is tripping the ring current. You need to report this to BT.

You will probably find that if you pick up the phone after the first ring, you would be able to hear the caller, but the line will be noisy.

Another possibility is an exchange equipment fault, but the cracking on the line would make that less likely.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Keith.  That's very helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Make you have tried the phone in the test point of your main telephone socket. This also will discount any wiring or equipment in your premises that could also be causing the problem. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Dave.  Thanks for your reply. I did think of this, but there is no test socket behind the front cover - only the main socket.  I have reported the fault to BT. Also, when calling the landline, I got a message stating "you have dialled an incorrect number".  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
  • OK, Assume you have no other socket and that the back of the socket looks like thisdownload.jpeg

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Similar but not quite the same.  BT have now fixed the problem, but they didn't give any explanation as to what caused it.  Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings