cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Incoming calls only ring once

Hi

My landline was reluctantly switched to BT Digital Voice a few weeks before Christmas.  

After realising that incoming calls were not getting through, or the phone only ringed once, I discovered that it was diverting to BT Voicemail (which I didn't even know was part of the package - I didn't ask for it and I certainly didn't ask for incoming calls to be diverted after one ring!!).  

After totally unhelpful calls to BT and supposedly my query was being looked at by engineers I came on the forums and found that I could disable Voicemail totally, by logging onto MY BT and going to Digital Voice.  

However, voicemail is now deactivated, but incoming calls still only ring once - the incoming caller still hears a ring tone, and indeed once can still answer the phone many seconds later, but one ring is a JOKE!!  I've tried going to 1570 to increase the number of rings, but that option doesn't seem to be available having disabled voicemail.  

Not amused by this wonderful new BT service, and seriously considering ditching my landline totally - very BAD.  

Any suggestions please?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Incoming calls only ring once

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@BenCooper 

Is your phone plugged into the phone socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2, or are you using one of the BT digital handsets or the digital voice adapter?

There are issues with the BT handsets.

Message 4 of 9

We have radio phones in the house (Panasonic), and the base station for one of these is plugged into the Smart Hub.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

There could be some compatibility issues. I assume the phones are DECT, so its possible some interaction is occurring between the DECT base station in the home hub, and your Panasonic base unit.

Do you happen to have a basic wired phone that you can plug into the socket on the home hub, to see if that only rings once?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I've tried a very old basic wired phone, and whilst it does ring its not a 'normal' ring.  Firstly it was very quiet, and second it sounded for several seconds (maybe 10 or more), then stopped for several seconds before repeating the same quiet prolonged ring ... it was almost as if the phone wasn't getting enough power to actually ring.  

Could the problem be my Halo Hub - its several years old?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@BenCooper 

It does sound like the internal ringing current generator has gone faulty, or there is a shortage of power from the power unit, (that would be less likely as it would affect the performance of the broadband).

I would ask BT for a replacement Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Have you checked the number of rings before you are diverted to 1571 answering   the strange ring tone may be due to messages on your 1571 answering service

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Problem finally solved.  A new Smart Hub was the answer, although the old one was only about 4 years old. 

What I am surprised by though is that BT didn't have an answer to the original issue.  Surely before rolling out Digital Voice they must have tested various different configurations including testing whether the system worked with Smart Hubs of all 'ages'?

0 Ratings