cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Is Caller ID Forwarded to Existing Handsets by the Router/Adaptor and Call Cast, Call Setup Charges

Go to solution

Guys, a short search found me here and I joined up. Having read a few posts I get prompted for my valuable feedback which I supplied. Then it just barfed and blew me off and my content was lost. However ...

My question, as a Vodafone Fibre/Copper subscriber destined to swallow the new VoIP system from our common provider Open Reach is :

"Can I expect my existing router which currently has a BT phone socket on the back give me both phone (I assume so) AND satisfy my existing Caller ID requirements using the current 1200 bauded FSK signal to my expensive current working handsets and call manager?"

As a pensioner with a functioning caller rejection system I don't want to be forced into paying again for what is working already. I get that my current router may need a software update but given what I've paid already I sort-of own the thing many times over.

Like all here, our "reasonable" data usage is bundled in our basic Internet connection charges so the supplementary question has to be ... "Will we be charged for call duration?"

I guess the other question has to be: " Will we be charged for call set-up? "

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is Caller ID Forwarded to Existing Handsets by the Router/Adaptor and Call Cast, Call Setup Char

Go to solution

@TelephoneSteve 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

As a Vodaphone customer you need to post on their forum, as its nothing to do with BT or Openreach.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Re: Is Caller ID Forwarded to Existing Handsets by the Router/Adaptor and Call Cast, Call Setup Char

Go to solution

Keith,

Yes I get that but any answer is likely to be of interest to any BT customer.

My understanding, limited as it is, is that BT, likely my supplier Vodafone, are simply billing agents reselling the Openreach owned and managed infrastructure. Any router/adaptor kit will be common and no doubt made in China and on loan via whatever billing agent is currently taking my money. I could well be a BT customer next week if they make me a better offer.

Thanks also for moving my question to somewhere more sensible.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

ISP routers are generally specific to the ISP. They are not provided by Openreach & usually not interchangeable. You can't use a BT router on Vodafone, nor a Vodafone router on BT

VOIP services are again provided by ISPs & not by Openreach. Taking BT's Digital Voice service, BT provide DECT handsets as well as a socket on the router. Vodafone routers do not support DECT.

So while the core infrastructure for broadband is Openreach, only Vodafone can answer your telephony questions.

0 Ratings