cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Landline end of life

I thought BT was trying to get everyone to stop using landline phones so that when the PSTN stops working in December 2025 there is not a huge backlog of active connections to deal with.

Yet when I recently renewed my broadband contract, BT cheerfully gave me landline bundled for another two years.

So how is landline phone end of life ever going to happen?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Landline end of life

Err, it is only the PSTN that is being switched off, not 'landlines'. Telephony will move to Digital Voice (VoIP), many lines  have already done so. I'm surprised you weren't moved to DV when you renewed your contract, most people are.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Landline end of life

The PSTN ( publicly switched telephone network ) in effect the System X and System Y equipment in your local exchange that provides dialtone and connects the phone calls you make , it’s this equipment that is being retired and is being replaced with an all IP ( internet protocol ) phone service for those that require a ‘landline’ type phone service

The idea was never to  stop ‘landline’ calls , although call volumes have been in decline for years and providing the means to make calls over the ‘internet’ isn’t a money maker , the objective is simply to move this telephone traffic away from the now rather elderly and increasingly unreliable PSTN equipment, and given that the IP network can deliver both IP telephony and broadband, it obviously makes sense to run one modern network and not one new and one old network. 
For the vast majority, the only change will be instead of the ‘landline’ phone plugged into a master phone socket , it’s connected to the routers  telephony port instead , what happens behind the scenes to connect calls is of no consequence to the end user 

0 Ratings