cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Landline not working intermittently

My landline uses an extension socket in the bedroom (with 2 additional handsets downstairs) with my hub plugged into my master socket by the front door. Both have filters and everything has been fine for over 10 years, however recently I have been unable to make or receive calls more often than not. I have a dial tone but when I dial the number nothing happens. Equally if I call my home number the phone rings but goes dead when I pick up the receiver. I've tried swapping filters around with a spare I had and it worked for a while and then stopped again. I've run a test on the line and it says it's fine and that it's probably the filters. I've ordered a new one but I'm not convinced it will work. Has anyone had a similar issue?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Landline not working intermittently

Hi @Kevin_roberts20 welcome to the community, I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your landline. Do you have a test socket that you can connect your phone to? This bypasses the extension wiring which may help to narrow down what's causing this problem. You might find this video helpful Video- How to test your phone line and check your telephone equipment | BT Help

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Landline not working intermittently

Thanks for the reply. I haven't taken the face plate off to try the test socket but I did try plugging the landline into the master socket and it worked fine, so I'm not sure if the test socket would help prove anything. At 2 30 today it wouldn't work but later at 5:30 it's fine without changing anything. It would be easier to diagnose if it was just permanently not working!

0 Ratings