cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

@ Links to members ….. My elderly mother!!!

@links to members ….

Anyone have an answer as to why my mother of 90 years of age can’t have a simple landline without being charged extortionate fees …? 

please advise, but please respond with respect. After all these people did help rebuild our nation/society after a devastating world conflict. 

I would appreciate some advice, as to whether my mother is entitled to some kind of rights to her monthly charges. Seeing as she doesn’t use broadband and only wishes for a simple, basic landline service. 

many thanks and look forward to your replies 🤝

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: @ Links to members ….. My elderly mother!!!

@Unhappy4areason 

Can you add some detail please:

How much is your mother being quoted for a service?

Is it the installation fee or the monthly ongoing that you are querying?

Where does she live, (ie flat in the suburbs of a town, cottage in the country, miles from anywhere etc, new-build etc)?

Other than State Pension, does she claim any other benefits, (BT has Social Tariffs for broadband, not sure about phone only)?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Extortionate is a subjective term , without knowing what your mother is being charged ( or has been quoted ) how can your question be answered .
BT have a price list , they also have various social tariffs for customers on certain benefits, and ultimately they are not a monopoly provider , so if what BT ‘offer’ isn’t acceptable there are alternative providers ( although telephone only isn’t exactly a growth market so not many companies are interested in that market ) and in the absence of an acceptable BT price , a viable landline alternative, there is always mobile telephony , your post implies your mother has no choice but to use BT and that just isn’t the case .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

It should also be noted that BT have to offer a cheaper non broadband tariff whereas other providers don't too

0 Ratings