cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

New Broadband - Phone line does not have local Dailng code

Just moved and the Fibre BB was installed on Friday. The Phone number has a Dialing code of a place that's around 50 miles away. Is this common or have BT make a mistake - Would have expected the local code or an adjacent code 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Broadband - Phone line does not have local Dailng code

I suspect you've got FTTP which is fed from an exchange outside your local area, had it been ADSL or FTTC then it would of been supplied from a closer exchange with a different exchange code.

Message 3 of 6

@Geoff_ 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Local codes were based around physical BT Exchange buildings and Exchange areas.

With Digital Voice this is not normally the case unless you had asked to keep your existing phone number.

Message 4 of 6

yes its FTTP -  i found it weird without giving location away our dialing code is next to one of the UKs big cities and other towns within 20 miles all of which would have been far more logical than the one 50 miles away. IF we ring 999 for example do they know where we are or is it routed on code as it used to be 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

We moved into the area so didnt have a number to keep - just expected i guess a number with the same code as the area we live in
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@Geoff_ 

If you ring 999 on a fixed line, its the CLI that is used to access your address, the actual area code is not relevant. Even if you are on a withheld number, the CLI is still passed to 999.

I assume 999 have access to all Service Provider`s customer data.