cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Openreach refusing to connect a landline

Does anyone have experience of Openreach repeatedly refusing to fulfil an order for an ADSL line..even after a Welfare request has been made an escalated? This is my experience at the moment. Furthermore Openreach have cancelled the latest order on the day of  installation ( confirmed by BT but not by Openreach ) with no clear reason and suggesting ( via the message on my BF account ) that I had cancelled the order.  ! Managers at BT have all been very helpful but seem at the mercy of Openreach .The irony is that Openreach confirm that an ADSL broadband service can be supplied to the same address.   No wonder they hide behind BT to avoid direct complaints . 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Openreach refusing to connect a landline

@Viv58 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

ADSL is not normally available to order if VDSL is available. This would show as an ADSL restriction on the BT Broadband Availability Checker.

Use the address checker for your address, on the link below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first, as this is a public forum.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Also, a basic phone line is no longer available as there is a "stop sell" on these, as phone lines are going digital. I wonder if that is what you are trying to request?

https://landlinesgo.digital/

Message 3 of 19

Hi Keith , thanks for that little known method of checking ..here are the results :there doesn't appear to be a restriction. I don't know about VDSL...I suspect not judging by the speeds that Openreach quote .I understand that copper services are now restricted but have been led to believe by BT that exceptions can be made which is why a Welfare request was initiated and escalated . The problem with Openreach is that they have provided no explanation for the latest abrupt cancellation and I have direct confirmation  that the  Frame work was already in place ...

UPRN xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange TIVERTON is served by Cabinet 1
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
Y
N

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules.CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@Viv58 

A conventional phone line service is no longer available anywhere as the PSTN network is closing down.

The phone service is now delivered using BT Digital Voice, and BT supply a basic broadband connection to just carry the phone service.

There should be no problems ordering a phone service, is that all you want, as you started of by mentioning you could not order an ADSL line.

Quote "Does anyone have experience of Openreach repeatedly refusing to fulfil an order for an ADSL line"

Please can you clarify what you are trying to order. Is it just a phone service, or a phone service and broadband?

Only ADSL is available, which can carry phone calls.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=47958&postcodeloc=14993&cabinet=P1

Message 5 of 19

Hi Keith  .  Yep....I'm probably using descriptions that I don't fully understand that  ! ADSL might have been the wrong ter m  We're just trying to get a phone line only connected for my elderly mother.  This new house was previously served by Openreach ...and still has the recent connection socket in one room.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

@Viv58 

That will be the issue, as its no longer available.

I have asked a moderator to assist with this, one of them should post here. You are not the first one to ask.

Some information about this product.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-launch-all-ip-solution-for-uk-adsl-broadband...

Message 7 of 19

Thanks for your insight Keith. All I can say is that Openreach and BT should be improve their communication with each other and allow BT Guides to have a better understanding of these problems so that they can explain it to their customers and not inadvertently encourage expectations that can't be fulfilled.  However I cling to the hope that a line can be connected as an exception ( which seems to be permitted) as a Welfare need . Best wishes ! 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

@Viv58 

As far as I am aware there are no exceptions for a direct connection to the old PSTN network, Openreach will reject any such order.

You should be able to get a phone service over BT Digital Voice, so its possible that the order has not been placed correctly. Hopefully a moderator can sort this out.

BT will supply a BT Smart Hub 2 which has a phone socket on the back, where you can plug in a normal phone.

Message 9 of 19

Well that would be good if offered. I agree , it does seem like there has been a lack of guidance when  I placed the order and thereafter  ...but one would have thought that the available alternative that you described would have been automatically offered . How would I know ? I just asked for a " landline"  ..didn't care whether it was analogue or digital  , just something physical and simple that my 90 year old mother could use rather than an app on a mobile.  ! As it is she fumbles with her  Doro phone and has no alarm connection  as we were encouraged to expect the phone line to be sorted out by now. Anyway , you've been very helpful and I expect many others have found your special knowledge useful. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

does your mother qualify here

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.