Message 1 of 8

Old Phone

We have (and still use) a BT6500 phone.  We've been switched over to digital voice some time in the last 4 months or so (can't remember when).  We don't use the messages much but someone said they left a message the other night, however we don't have it.  Would the switchover affect the messaging function or is the phone dying?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Old Phone

Have a check dialling 1571 to see if there's any answer phone messages there.

Checkout the FAQs if you want to use your own device answer phone system: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

DV comes with 1571 active and unless you have changed anything then that may well be where you message and not on 6500

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

With DV , there is an included voice mail service, so if your own telephone also has an answer machine built in and there is no message left on that , it could be that the BT DV 1571 message service took the message before your own phone ( it’s not a good idea to have both ) , if BT 1571 has the message, the dialtone is modulated ( two tone dialtone ) to indicate a message has been taken , so if you pick up the handset and hear modulated dialtone , call 1571 to retrieve the message 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

You need to configure 1571 for maximum number of rings and your answering machine to fewer if you wish that to answer rather than 1571.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

"...it could be that the BT DV 1571 message service took the message before your own phone ( it’s not a good idea to have both ) "

Actually, it's perfectly OK to have both your own answering machine and the 1571 service on DV.
I have my own answering machine set to answer on less rings than the 1571 service. When I'm at home, with my phone/answering machine powered on, I use messaging on that. When I'm going to be away for a while, I power down my phone/answering machine so that the 1571 service takes any messages - that way I can access these messages remotely.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks everybody. 

We don't move around this ol' house so quick these days so I've set the 1571 to a long ring before it picks up.  We also have a long period on the handset so we might have to shorten that but we'll see.

Is it possible to disconnect from the 1571 service?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

It is, but it is a bit of a faff. You can do it via MyBT

0 Ratings