cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Porting a landland number will it cancel our FTTP

I'm trying to reduce our bills, we never use our landline to make outgoing calls.

So instead of just straight canceling it and losing the number, I was thinking of porting it to sipgate and just use a sip softphone app, encase someone ring it at least it would come through to me.

If I port it to sipgate, will bt cancel my 1gb FTTP ?

I work from home and I can't do without my internet. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Porting a landland number will it cancel our FTTP

@davidirwin77 

At present, if you cancel your phone line, it will cease your broadband connection. The actual cost of the phone service is only very small, and if you do not have a call package, you just pay for any calls at 20p a minute. 

The term "landline" is outdated now, and use to show as a separate charge "line rental", but is now included in the cost of the broadband, so the saving is only very small if you could remove the phone service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@davidirwin77wrote:

I'm trying to reduce our bills, we never use our landline to make outgoing calls.

Look at your current bills, if you're paying for a calling plan, removing the voice element will save you the price of your calling plan, you will still pay line rental as broadband is delivered down the line, this applies to all broadband packages.

@davidirwin77wrote:

If I port it to sipgate, will bt cancel my 1gb FTTP ?

It would yes but FTTP can be reactivated the next working day, you will end up having to enter a new 24 month term plus setup fees to rejoin, you might also end up paying more than you do now and if you're under contract now, early terminat fees would be applied, if you're going to do this, do it when you're outside the minimum term.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

BT already offer a ‘no telephony ‘ broadband service, it’s ‘list price’ is £5/month cheaper than the equivalent broadband with a phone service capable of incoming and outgoing calls, calls to emergency services , customer services etc,  ( that price assumes the telephony plan is the ‘free’ PAYG option ) , however whilst your current package is a bundle , simply porting the number to a different VoIP provider will in all likelihood cease the broadband.

If you  arrange to convert your telephony/ broadband package to broadband only , saving £5/month , the current number simply returns to a unused state , and  cannot then be ported, and could possibly result in ETC if your minimum term is for both services.

There is supposed to be a change coming along to number portability  , where the Telco keeps the phone number available to be ported for 30 days after the account is closed, once this is in place you may be able ask the VoIP provider , within 30 days , to obtain the number once you ask BT to delete it from your service , but AFAIK, it isn’t yet in place.

0 Ratings