cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Re: 3rd party router with Bt hub for digital voice

Go to solution

Does anyone know if this solution now works (or can be made to work) for IPv6 (as well as IPv4)?

I tried this in 2019 (when I first got FTTP installed), it worked perfectly for IPv4, but I just couldn't seem to be able to make it work for IPv6 back then.   The BT Smarthub and the [at the time] Vigor router - now replaced with meshed ASUS routers - both supported IPv6 and each worked fine for both IPv4 and IPv6 when connected directly to the Openreach box, but only IPv4 would work when I set up my own router as a second router after the BT Smarthub.

I'm reluctant to start messing around / trialing it with my live setup (meshed ASUS RT-AX88U/RT-AX92U routers) just to test it, but with Digital Voice coming down the track and unusable mobile coverage on all mobile networks at our house, I will need a reliable solution that will give us reliable access to emergency calls.

We currently have two UPSs as well as an 'old-fashioned' plug-in phone for emergencies as our overhead-supplied electricity is unreliable in poor weather as well.

We also have issues with WiFi calling too, but that's a WiFi-calling / mobile-network handover issue, so we have to keep our mobiles in airplane mode with WiFi turned on when at home, so it doesn't try to handover to the mobile network when it gets a sniff of 4G (but the 4G won't hold a voice call up).

Finally, we also have a second BT line running ADSL as a backup to the FTTP, which my ASUS routers also handle perfectly, though this isn't such a big deal, as we've not had to use it in 4 years and the fibre cables run on the same overhead poles as the copper wires anyway!

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Go to solution

I have moved you onto your own thread where you will get answers relevant to your question rather than you hijacking the thread that you posted on which invariably causes confusion regarding answers to the OP of that thread. 

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@tcpip 

My SH2 is set up to pass all IPv6 traffic through to my Asus and my Asus  setting for IPv6 is Connection Type - Passthrough.

When I test IPv6 from my mobile phone it passes all the tests and I have several devices that are showing under the IPv6 LAN devices list so I think that yes it does work OK.

I'm no expert on this though.

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks @TimCurtis
0 Ratings