cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT FTTP Digital Voice and BT8500 Call Guardian - Can They Co-exist?

Go to solution

I have to agree with Robertson555 and I have adopted the same "compromise". I have my old BT 8500 Base Unit physically attached to the hub and the new essential Digital Home Phone as one of my extensions. Can anyone confirm for Robertson555 and myself that this will allow BT Guardian to continue to work? I have an awful feeling, however, that the days of BT Guardian may well be numbered!

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

BT Call Guardian is a feature built into the phone itself, and provided caller display is activated on your line, it will continue to work as before. Whether it intercepts the call before it rings the BT supplied phone, is something you would have to try.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks Keith - we shall see I guess!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

DV has effectively 2 lines where you can make a call on one phone and receive a call on another phone at same time.  this may cause problems with your call guardian so you may want to change to single call   if you go to digital phone then menu then phone settings then line settings then call settings and change multi to single and save

you could also go to MYBT then digital voice manage then voicemail manage and select number of rings to 7 or even 10 giving call guardian time to answer call first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you for the suggestion. Just changed the setting to Single Call, then asked my partner to ring me from her work on a different number to hers. It rang just the once on the DV phone then silence for a few seconds until the BT8500 rang and went to Call Guardian. On "normal" calls i.e. numbers in my phone directory all works well. 

A neighbour who has the same issue has been in touch with BT and the agent could not resolve the issue. Apparently according to him Call Protect is active whether you want it or not, but clearly Call Guardian is a problem if you want to have a mixed setup. The agent has passed the issue to DV experts.

As I see it, and I am more than happy to be proved wrong, the choice appears to be if you want to keep Call Guardian stick to the old phones and attach the Base Unit physically to the Smart Hub 2 or if you want a mixed phone setup or use all new DV phones give up on Call Guardian and start using Call Protect

Feel as if a Pandora's Box has been opened!

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

After 8 days of trying and conversations with 13 people the conclusion is that, whilst the BT8500 still works as a call blocker, it is incompatible with the Digital Voice Caller Display and just reports 'No Number' hence NO calls can be seamlessly 'allowed'.  My advised solution is to change the triple setup I have for the later BT4600 which is compatible.

I hope this helps someone save some time.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

We’ve had the same problem and following the advice below changed the BT Digital Voice ringing period to a longer one (Dial 1571 and chose 4 on the main menu) so that our Call Guardian cuts in first. The problem seems to be solved. 
Sorry, should have mentioned, this was specifically in relation to Voicemail messages and which system receives them.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Patricia,  Glad to hear that you seem to have things sorted as our 8500s have been for many months (the important bits in my last post are the 'tags').  The key seemed to  be getting  Caller Display working and suppressing 1571 as you say and Call Guardian works fine plus the 8500 answering system.  (Can't comment about these dual systems mentioned in earlier posts..!)

One thing I will add though is that 1571 still seems to be active.  I received a call whilst on the phone and the caller patently hung on long enough for 1571 message logging to activate so there is some backup benefit.

Happy calling.

0 Ratings