cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Re: Can I Change my Landline Number?

I have the same problem as the OP. How do I request a renumber? Which switchboard option is it? Or might you be able to do this for me? Thanks very much.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

are you a BT Retail phone nas broadband customer?  are you trying to get an old number back or trying to new number as having problems with existing number?

do you have digital voice?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

I presume DV re numbers are no different to PSTN re numbers in that it’s a charged for service unless it’s being requested because of nuisance calls , and the police have been involved , AFAIR , it’s around £40.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

The existing number has been compromised and I believe is being targeted by scammers. I have power of attorney and look after the account holder's BT account. It's an old copper wire phone, not digital voice. I use BT Call Protect, but this is only useful as far as it goes because it only blocks 100 numbers (I am now up to 100).

Before anyone else mentions it, the account holder has dementia and would be unable to use/understand any new equipment. In fact, would not understand how to block calls - doesn't understand that callers are scammers in any case. Anything I do now has got to be from my end.
Message 6 of 13

Blocking incoming numbers is pointless as they're spoofed anyway & will change on every call. I suspect that changing the number will only provide temporary respite also. You really need to look at a system that will block unrecognised calls & force the caller to announce who they are.

Have a look at Truecall Secure, which can be managed remotely & can have unknown caller redirected to you. It requires installation of a small box on the line but no interaction from the user after that. But there is a subscription fee.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@south_sky 

Unfortunately changing the number may not help, as all numbers are targeted by scammers. Blocking numbers will have no effect.

Although you have said that a new phone would not help, there are phones that block all numbers, apart from those that are wanted. These  stop 100% of scam calls, and do not need any intervention by the end user to block calls.

Look at the BT4600.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/landline-phones/cordless-phones-with-answer-machine/bt460...

Any number which is stored in the phone`s directory will be allowed, all others will be blocked, asked to announce themselves, or sent to the answer machine.

Scam calls are automated, and do not announce themselves.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Many thanks Keith. Just one query from what you've said there. You say that blocking numbers will have no effect.
From what I can see, I can use BT Call Protect to stop all incoming calls except for those stored in the VIP list. Why would this not prevent scam calls? Or have I misunderstood something? Appreciate your help.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

The basic call protect does not give that option, you have to pay BT for the advanced version, not sure what its called, but I do know others have used it.

You would still have to check for calls that had been blocked, but should not have been, as they should have been added to the VIP list.

edit:  its called

BT Answer 1571 and Call Minder with BT Call Protect

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/calling-features-and-security/nuisance-calls-and-phishing/bt-call-p...

Message 10 of 13

When you have BT Call Protect with a personal voicemail service of BT Answer 1571 or Call Minder, you automatically receive two additional features to manage your calls:

• VIP list - Make sure your important calls are never sent to your junk voicemail
  • Do Not Disturb - Send calls to your voicemail at set times. When it’s on, all your wanted calls will be sent to your personal voicemail (1571 or Call Minder). Unwanted calls will carry on going to your junk voicemail (1572)