cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 36

Re: Confusion about land line and Digital Voice

@wkirkman your explanation is appreciated. However i have to admit that when i read the initial comment that landlines won’t work during a power cut, being simply a phone user i wasn’t aware that fibre , copper etc were now considered a landline which is why i responded as i did. Too many people on here who are no doubt very knowledgeable on the minutiae of telephony services  forget that some of us aren’t completely au fait with every current protocol. Please note the heading of the thread and please don’t assume that i have nothing better to do with my time than  pick at people. I had considered this thread closed until your comment. And trust that it has now been put to bed 10.4 😊

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 36

Well if you can’t find it then i have no chance.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 36

“i wasn’t aware that fibre , copper etc were now considered a landline”

What did you think the copper line going to your house was if not a line that goes over the land? I’m sorry but, the name really is self explanatory—literally.

And I didn’t reopen a closed thread. I was just commenting like everyone else.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 36

@licquorice Well if you can’t find it then i have no chance.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 36

@ChrisGee I don't have a crystal ball or second sight, how on earth am I expected to know which post you object to.

You are clearly just trolling.

Message 26 of 36

@wkirkman and you accuse me of picking at people?  Yes, i wasn’t aware that fibre was now considered note the word considered, a landline. Being from an older generation i have always considered the old copper system as a landline. If that’s a problem for you then you will have to deal with it. Now that i have been re educated in the niceties of current thinking i’ll be sure to make a distinction between the copper landline (which works during a power cut and the other landlines which don’t. I didn’t say the thread was closed, merely that i had considered it to have reached a conclusion. But then if you want to keep it circling the plughole………….?

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 36

@ChrisGee 

Regarding your comments about what you are alleging @licquorice has said regarding landlines not working during a power cut  I can assure you that there are numerous forum users, some of whom are posting on this thread , and who undoubtedly read most if not all the threads that are posted on this board within the forum,  and I have no doubt that had  @licquorice stated that landlines don't work during a power cut in the context of an analogue landline, they would have corrected him or asked him to clarify what he meant.

If you are so certain that he did say it I would suggest that you do search through all the posts to find the post that you are referring to and link to it in this thread and I for one will happily apologise for doubting what you have alleged but until then I will continue to doubt as factual what you have stated.  

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 36

@licquorice to be honest i think the same could be said of you. It’s all in the intention. I was genuinely trying to understand your comment regarding landlines not working during a power cut. You didn’t differentiate between the digital landlines and the copper and that was why i followed up on your post. I was unaware at that time that all lines were called landlines since i have always thought of a landline as the copper service. I now know that this is not the case. Believe me i have better things to do than wind up other commenters. Too many knowledgeable people on this forum make assumptions on how much others understand about the finer points of modern communications and terminology.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 36

@ChrisGee 

No, a copper landline won't necessarily work in a power cut.

Copper lines can be either be legacy analogue phone service or Digital Voice.

Digital Voice is not restricted to fibre lines. I have Digital Voice on a copper line.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 36

@gg30340 much as i would like to supply a link to the comment but Licqorice has stated that he is unable to track down the comment so i don’t see how i can?

0 Ratings