cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Removing old wires from master socket

So I have a couple of wired extension sockets in other rooms from the master socket. The wiring and sockets are not used now and I want to remove them as they are very old and ugly

I have an openreach master socket 5c MK4

Seems only important wires to keep are the orange and white wires connected directly in the front plate of the socket itself?

can anyone help confirm?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Removing old wires from master socket

is the connection to front plate of master running a data extension to another socket so you can connect your router?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

No

our dect phone set and our BT router are connected directly to this master socket 

that’s all 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

the extension sockets do not connect to the front plate so where are the wires that are connected to front ending up.

the extensions are normally connected to the terminals 2&5 behind clear plastic cover

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

The only wires connected to front plate are 2 single wires, one orange and one white, everything else is away from front plate joining a blue/white and a black together, and a white/blue and a green together 

None of those connections are to front plate, only the orange & white wires into the red “tool free” connector on the back of the front plate 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

when you remove the front plate then extension wiring should be connect to the terminal 2&5 not 3 which is tool free to left of test socket  the  tool free connection on back of front plate is for a data extension socket so you could use router at another socket

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Nope, the only connection to front plate is orange and white wires in the red tool free connection 

the only connection to the absolute front plate is the mounded telephone connector plug which is part of the front plate

ii’ve tried to upload pics to explain properly, but get error message pic file size too big, but I can’t make it smaller to be accepted on here

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

The front plate used to be to the customers extension sockets. The backplate was the incoming line. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings