cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Spoof Numbers

The majority of calls I receive on my landline are from spoof numbers.  I have Caller Display, so I just ignore any number I don't recognise.  My question is, why don't BT do more to stop their customers receiving these calls at all?  Surely the network is intelligent to know when a call is made using a fake number and block it at source, or am I just being naive?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Spoof Numbers

Its just not possible to verify the origin of a spoofed call, as most originate from VOIP sources.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

You're being naive. If it was simple to stop such calls it would have been done a long time ago.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Dealing with : Spoof Numbers

I get dodgy emails, and equally dodgy phone calls.
I have a look at 'view source', on the emails. It's not difficult to 'spot the loony'. I add 'em to my spam and block list: gone, until they spoof another address. I've informed friends, they're being spoofed. They don't get any dodgy emails; so, they have an unsympathetic ear; not too sure, if it's the right ear, or alternatively, the left ear.
The phone calls, if I don't recognise the number, ring as long as they like; I ain't answering. I've the cheapest BT Blocker phone. The blocked calls are corralled, and the phone doesn't ring on the blocked numbers.
There's no corporate revenue being generated by these calls, 'til the arrival of DV's free services. 1571/1572, they trip incoming calls, and they become chargeable calls, to voicemail. The service providers make money. Good game, good game !
BE SAFE OUT THERE !BE SAFE OUT THERE !

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@readyeddie  Sometimes I answer 'unknown' numbers (just for **bleep**s and giggles) with 'Please hold while this number is traced' and in a flat/automated voice 😂 They usually hang up pretty quick and I never get a second call but if they have the nerve, and stay on the line, after a minute I follow that up with 'This number has been successfully traced and has been deemed a scam, your details will be passed to the relevant authorities for prosecution, goodbye.' and then hang up. The 'scam' calls have now just about stopped! 😁 Although there has been the odd occasion I did this and it was an actual legitimate call, Oops! 🤣
But I agree that, in this day and age, there should be an ability to be able to determine 'authentic' calls from 'scam/spoof/cloned' numbers. Surely there is a 'signature' to these types of calls that can be determined and stopped  (e.g. the caller ID area code is from one place but the actual origin is 'physically' from another)🤔
Ah well..... one day!

0 Ratings