cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Scam landline calls

How do I report scam landline calls if the online scam call reporting form won't recognise the number I'm supposedly receiving the call from? It tells me the number isn't valid so won't let me submit the form! I've tried looking for another way to contact BT but just keep going round in circles! 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Scam landline calls

Don't bother wasting your time, the number isn't real, it's a spoofed number that doesn't exist. Stopping scam calls is impossible, the only  practical solution is to use a whitelisting phone which only allows calls from numbers you have listed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks, but the problem is this is my 89 year old Mum's landline. She has call protect, but these calls are still getting through. I'm guessing they're coming from an international number and that's how they're able to get through. They're showing up as calls from her local area code. They're recorded messages about fraudulent activity on her credit card so we know they're scam calls, but I don't want her to receive them at all. I know from personal experience quite a few years ago that BT couldn't block international numbers, but I was hoping that maybe by now they'd managed to find a way round it! I was just trying to confirm that this is correct with BT but they've made it impossible to contact them online and I don't want to call as I'm not in a position to spend a lot of time on the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Lannj 

Call protect will not really help, she needs a call blocking phone which only allows specific numbers through.

These  stop 100% of scam calls, and do not need any intervention by the end user to block calls.

Look at the BT4600.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/landline-phones/cordless-phones-with-answer-machine/bt460...

Any number which is stored in the phone`s directory will be allowed, all others will be blocked, asked to announce themselves, or sent to the answer machine.

Scam calls are automated, and do not announce themselves.

Message 5 of 7

Thanks, she has this but these calls are still getting through, which makes me think they're international calls. As I said I was hoping to question BT directly online, but they seem to have made it impossible to do!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If she has a whitelisting phone, only calls from known contacts will get through. International or not is irrelevant. I suspect she only has call protect, not a whitelisting phone

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Lannj 

It cannot be the BT4600 phone, as that blocks all calls, unless of course, caller ID is not enabled on her phone line.

I suspect she has a different phone.

0 Ratings