cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 34

Re: Summer Time Setting keeps going back 1 hour?

I suspect most of these issues are the result of some providers moving to VOIP, and their routers are fixed to GMT as a global standard. There is no facility to change that, as it would probably involve major changes to router software.

The BT PSTN network always followed UK time, as the exchange software made allowances for it. As far as I am aware, BT Digital Voice also follows UK time.

@Keith_Beddoe - I'm afraid I don't follow your argument. If all my Windows devices can automatically update the time from GMT to BST (and back again) I don't see why VOIP software can't do the same. It's just another computer, right?

Message 22 of 34

@Tim123 

Windows handles this with its own internal calendar, and that offsets the NTP server by the correct amount, depending on where you are located in the world, which of course you set up when you installed Windows.

I suspect that most ISPs use Cisco Routers, and the DST flag is set off by default.

By default, there is no configured network policy on the switch. The default LLDP-MED global and interface settings are the following:

Feature

Default Setting

Clock Source

SNTP

Time from Browser

Disabled

Time Zone (Static)

Offset is UTC+0  

DHCP Time zone

Disabled

Summer Time (DST)   

Disabled

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 34

@Keith_Beddoe - Okay... but I'm still on PSTN and am having this problem with Reminder Call, Caller Display and 1471. Can't be a VOIP thing in my case. More likely that the exchange equipment hasn't been updated to BST.
Message 24 of 34

@Tim123 

Bear in mind that a lot of the core phone network is now IP, and relies on routers, so I doubt that much of the exchange software is still being implemented.

As far as the functions that rely on GMT/BST changes, like reminder call, surely its not to difficult to change the time that its set for, twice a year, or use an alternative time source?

There are plenty of radio (MSF) controlled clocks, with an alarm, that follow GMT/BST changes, instead of relying on a phone system that could easily develop a fault?

There is nothing more I can add to this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 34

Sorry, I've tried googling the CLI you mention but I'm not much further forward to what it stands for and means. 

With regarding my issue with Sky - I've been on the phone twice to them.. Both times they insist it's a problem with the handset and I'm insisting it's not. Regardless what date/time I manually set, as soon as a phone call comes in it resets to the correct date and time is an hour behind.

I've raised a complaint (or at least tried to as I havnt received the email they recon they have sent yet) to try and get it looked into but I'm not hopeful that they insist there is no issue their end and it's my handset. They also recon no one else has presented with the issue so I would certainly advise anyone else reading this to phone their provider and kick up a fuss too, make them aware there IS an issue. 

Is there any way to stop the phone from automatically adjusting to the time provided down the line? I suspect not. Don't fancy living for half the year with incorrect time at my business. 

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 34

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 34

I also am not yet on VOIP, but experiencing exactly same problems as yourself, but Origin Broadband, my Service Provider, claim any issue must relate to my telephone handsets, but I know that is not the case. It not just minor inconvenience, but means any missed calls or messages display the incorrect time. No matter how often I manually reset the correct time, incoming calls revert time back 1 hour.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 34

@Whiterose_uk  The problems I am experiencing and response from my Service Provider, are virtually identical to what you have described, including their claim that the issue has never been experienced by anyone else. I am also despairing as to a solution, and have manually set correct time repeatedly, only to find it changes by 1 hour when incoming call received, and It is not a VOIP issue as I am not yet on VOIP .

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 34

@4600problem5 I have VOIP, the phone plugs into the router. I only had services and equipment from mid March with sky due to moving premises. 

Before this we were with BT, normal phone line and no issue with the time keeping for last 3 years using the same phone/base might I add, I just purchased addition handsets hence my previous comments on them being new... So the claim it is my phone is entirely wrong. I will point that out when I get a response to my complaint. I will even go the whole nine yards and plug my phone system back into a BT provider line if they still insist it's the phones, to rule that arguement out once and for all. 

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 34

@Whiterose_uk  I would also encourage others struggling with this issue, to make their Service Providers aware, as there seems to be a standard response, that no others have the issue and it is Customers Handsets at fault, which is not correct in my case, and many others. I am not confident that Origin Broadband, my Provider, will resolve the matter, as they were completely dismissive. I am willing to manually set correct time (as I have done repeatedly) if only someone could advise how we prevent the setting reverting back 1 hour to GMT. Hope you have success in getting matter resolved. 

0 Ratings