cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Switched to Digital Voice now Visonic Alarm erroring saying line error

This week I was switched to Digital Voice. I have my landline plugged into an adaptor, this is working fine. However, my house alarm is now erroring saying line failure.  And bleeps at me every minute. 
we have had to resort to turning the house alarm off at the power so the house is now compromised whilst we are away as we can not set the alarm. 
The alarm line is hard wired into the master socket which we believe we are not allowed to touch so do not have the option of trying to plug into an adapter. I have spoke to BT who sent a tech expert to assess the situation. He attended today and said there was nothing he could do. 
Due to the alarm being hard wired I believe this is a BT/OpenReach problem and I shouldn’t have to be paying to get an alarm company to come and resolve the situation. I don’t even know if the alarm would be compatible with Digital Voice
Please tell me what direction I should be going in. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Switched to Digital Voice now Visonic Alarm erroring saying line error

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

@Sharron_louise 

you should contact your alarm company as they have known about the openreach change to VOIP and that BT is changing customers to digital voice.  They should have a solution

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 13

It is entirely an alarm company problem, they have known about the analogue switch off for years.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

And what about any call-out or engineer costs. Why should I be liable for this when I had a perfectly good working alarm until the switch over.?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@Sharron_louise 

until you contact your alarm company you have no idea if they already have a simple fix bearing in mind your alarm company have been aware of change for a few years (as already been said)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 13

We have the same problem.  To fix the line error you need to turn off line fail reporting - pstn - in the consule in installer mode.  Your alarm will then work but you won't be able to dial into it remotely to turn it on/off if you're not at home.  The alarm won't call you either if it goes off as your old BT line no longer works.  Your old BT line has been replaced with phone over broadband so the master socket is no longer working and it will be safe to cut the wires and remove the socket.  BT supplied us with a wireless phone adapter for the alarm console to plug into (which is designed for analogue phones to make calls using the router) to allow the alarm to make and receive calls using the router wirelessly.  They did this free of charge. Alarm engineer came to re-wire the console but it wouldn't work as the BT adapter doesn't throw out enough voltage.  It needs to be 45-50v for an analogue alarm but is only throwing out 30v.    Apparently all analogue alarms need around 50v to dial in/out.  BT must have had lots of complaints about this.  A solution may be a GSM dial out adapter with a SIM but this will be £185 + the SIM but there will need to be a good signal by your console.  If only the BT adapter chucked out 50v.  Am not sure if running a cable from console into phone socket on back of router will work as that may not throw out 50v.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

What a load of misleading nonsense.

Anybody reading, please don't cut any wires, the switch to Digital Voice doesn't necessarily mean a switch to full fibre.

Message 9 of 13

Well that’s exactly what my alarm engineer did! You obviously need the brains to cut the correct wire

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Telling customers to cut wires when they don't know what they are doing is a bad idea.

You have presumably been moved to full fibre, not everyone on DV has. The 2 things are not related.

0 Ratings