cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 47

Re: UPS solution for ONT and SH2

Go to solution

As above - the plug on the SH2 power connector is 3.0 x 5.5 mm and 11 mm long.

Also known as: Philmore # 206, 3.0mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D. Coaxial Power Plug but the trick will be to find one.

An 'obvious' solution is to search out a 'broken' Smart Hub power supply and cut-off the lead and plug ... ?

Edit:

And the cable specification is on the power supply:

20231102_183403.jpg

Philip
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 47

Go to solution

Whilst not ideal, and given that the power plug for the smart hub 2 is almost impossible to find,  would suggest the following :-

1.buy a 12v dc power extender cable, (cheap from amazon) and some cable connectors. (any type as long as they provide a good join)

2. cut off the  plug and socket

3. cut the plug off the existing cable but leave plenty of the attached cable tail

4. Connect one end of the extension cable to the home hub plug end and the other to the cable attached to the power supply.

Maybe teaching Granny here, but it's worked for me on many occasions and you can always solder the cable joints instead.

PT.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 47

Go to solution

Yes, I thought about that but, of course, today you are obliged to return the SH2 at some point and presumably they’ll want it back undamaged.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 47

Go to solution

That would probably be "Oops, sorry, forgot to pack the power supply"....

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 47

Go to solution

...followed by "Oops, sorry, here's the bill".  lol

Message 36 of 47

Go to solution

There are leads with 5.5x3.0mm plugs on available on Ebay. Search for  "5.5x3.0mm for Power Charger Cable Plug Connector Adapter For Laptop" you might want a 5.5x2.1mm socket and then use it with a normal 12v PSU that has a 5.5x2.1mm plug output.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 47

Go to solution

I’ve set up the 24W Cyberpower unit (from eBay) to power both SH2 (18W nominal) and Nokia ONT (2W nominal). I bought the unit with the SH2 lead (avoiding the SH2 plug problem) and spliced a generic plug onto it to power the ONT. 

Just trying a discharge test now. Battery floating at 13.80 V. Dropped pretty quickly to 12.70V. Now after 1h45m it’s down to 12.44V

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 47

Go to solution

So, how long did it last? What uptime did you achieve?

I understood the Nokia ONT to be 6W nominal (12V 0.5A) but you may have better information.

The lead acid battery inside the box is 12V 7Ah - so you have 84Wh (max) to play with. With a load of 20W you might hope for a little over 4 hours; at 24W around 3.5 hours at best. All depending, of course, on the state of the lead acid battery in the first place.

Philip
0 Ratings
Message 39 of 47

Go to solution

Gave up after 2.75 hours and went to bed!

From voltage measurements, I think battery would give me over 4 hours in current condition.

Data sheet with my Nokia ONT says 2W.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 47

Go to solution

Update:
I have tried without success to source the SH2 power connectors ( 3.0 x 5.5 mm )

I have even spoken with Technical Support at Cyber Power.
They told me they do not provide support for any products sold to BT and to take my problem to BT.                                   No help there either.

Having given up on this, I decided to follow your suggestion and find a couple of BT Power Supply Units compatible with the BT Smart Hub 2. This I have done, from a Charity Shop that takes in old Electricals.

My next step is to cut the plugs off both units and connect the cables with a Wako 2-way lever connector to give me a longer lead to power the BT Smart Hub 2.

I am a novice here. I expect if I connect the wires with the white markings to each other, the black wires similarly this should work ?

Hopefully we shouldn’t get any more power cuts till next Winter, so in the meantime I intend to go back to Mains Power. Is this a good Idea ?

Matt

0 Ratings