cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 26

Re: Using BT digital phones with a different VOIP provider

Go to solution

Search BT Unlimited Minutes ( not Unlimited Anytime ) call plan , the BT website does unfortunately still show lots of instances of the old legacy plan .

FWIW , although the Digital Voice handset was available to buy , BT offered them ‘free’ on request to customers as they were migrated to DV , so if your relative purchased one or more , that’s unfortunate as they were given away free to anyone asking as they were moved to DV , as far as I remember you only paid postage.

That free DV phone offer isn’t available now , but a DV adapter is offered ‘free’ for those that request one , that converts a ‘ regular’ phone to one that can work with the BT hub  but remote from it , although some features that can be accessed with a single button on the BT DV handset may not be as easily accessible on a ‘regular’ push button phone , and the majority of modern phones will work when connected to the BT  SH2 router phone port anyway .

If your intention to avoid losing BT Broadband is to keep the BT PAYG calls plan ( £5 list price but often available for £2 or £3 ) then that added to the £10 monthly cost of the VoIP provider for providing its own directory number and the ability to make calls , plus the need to purchase an ATA and handsets ( or handset with built in ATA )  doesn’t seem particularly cost effective .

Message 22 of 26

Go to solution

@JillWwrote:

@VeteranISPUser I'm not sure - the base for each handset only has a power cord, they don't seem to plug into the router at all. I'm not at my mum's at the moment so can't double check exactly what there is but did look at it all thoroughly last week and seem to think that the only things plugged into the hub were her telehealth (falls) alarm - into the 'phone' socket - and an ethernet cable. I didn't check what the ethernet cable was plugged into at the other end but it definitely wasn't either of the two phones.

Hi @JillW   It sounds like they are definitely DV HD phones so you can backup and restore the contacts on the SH2. This can only be done on your Mums network (not remotely).

Message 23 of 26

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser @iniltous @licquorice 

Thanks all, hopefully I have a way forward which looks a bit better than I had thought - will try to access the hub once I'm on her network and see if we can get the numbers backed up, and will also see if BT are willing to offer a better price on the call plan. It's all a little bit clearer now too!

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 26

Go to solution

To be perfectly honest, as your mum already has Digital Voice with BT supplied handsets, the hassle of moving to a third party VoIP provider is never worth it.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 26

Go to solution

@licquorice Yes, I have reluctantly come to the same conclusion - it seemed like it might be a good option but sadly not. At least the current broadband deal seems to be better than the one on the table last week so that is something. Thanks for your help anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 26

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

If you access the hub manager  by entering  192.168.2.254 in your browser address bar,

I've only skim read but this appears to be a typo & should be 192.168.1.254.

0 Ratings