cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Using Digital Voice with a different ISP?

Hi All,

We have been switched over to Digital Voice. It was all very seamless and the pairing of the adaptor for our existing cordless phone worked first time. Exactly how it should be.

However, I'm currently looking to switch to a different ISP because BT do not offer full fibre in my area. There is a local Kent company who do offer full fibre and they have put a lot of the infrastructure in place already. If I change to them I will obviously lose connectivity to my home phone. My wife still likes the option of a home phone so I'll be looking to go to a different VOIP provider - unless I can continue with Digital Voice through my new ISP. Can anyone advise if that's possible and what the packages are? That would seem to be [hopefully] the most seamless way to retain our current number. I've done some searching and not come up with an answer.

TIA

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Using Digital Voice with a different ISP?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

you need to use the SH2 for DV and it will not work on another ISP connection  Need to move to a VOIP provider if you want to keep number

Bear in mind that moving to VOIP provider will terminate your existing broadband and phone contract

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 4

DV is BT’s proprietary telephony offer , you cannot have BTDV with another company, this alternative FTTP network may or may not offer their own IP telephony, if they don’t there are third party VoIP providers that can provide telephony, in either case you tell them to arrange it , you don’t contact BT , they do.
Theoretically the DV number should be portable to another provider, when you sign up with the FTTP or VoIP firm you indicate you want to keep your existing number,  if it works out , great , if it doesn’t , and you end up with a different phone number or a period without any telephony , that’s down to the network provider or VoIP provider you used   , not BT