cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Vulnerable people and digital voice.

Someone in my road who is vulnerable, not tech savvy and has no mobile phone has been switched from copper wire landline to Digital Voice.  The person was unaware of the power cut issue, and can not operate any of the equipment. 

How can the sales team move someone on to this package without asking the questions first.  The person was moving from Talk Talk and had no idea what questions to ask.  Now the phones go off occasionally and the person is left with no service, and I have been told that BT will not come out without the technical checks being run first. I have tried to do them but daren't risk losing the TV channels as the person is utterly dependent on it, and the equipment looks different to mine.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Vulnerable people and digital voice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

When moving from TT to BT and requesting to keep phone number your neighbour would have been told that new BT connection would be on digital voice.  Did someone help your neighbour when moving from TT to BT or did they organise move themselves?

Have you connected the existing phone to the green phone socket on the back of the BT SH2?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 9

The person did it themselves, but if you don't know what any of the terms actually mean, and you don't realise the implications.......

Forgot to mention also that I can't actually find their hub.  All I can see is the approx 10cm square box on the wall. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi @Lizzie   TalkTalk are also moving over to a version of digital voice. As are all providers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

But if the customer upgrades or changes provider before the changeover, will the sales teams find out if they are alone, with no understanding and no mobile phone.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

The white 10cm box is the ONT (fibre modem) and the BT HUB  should be connected to the ONT with ethernet cable to the WAN port on back of hub.  I am surprised that is was not done by the installer. The digital voice must  e used with hub and hub must have internet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 9

"Forgot to mention also that I can't actually find their hub. All I can see is the approx 10cm square box on the wall. "

If the phone is working, it must be plugged into the back of the hub. So just trace the cable from the phone backwards and that will lead you to the hub.
Alternatively, if the 10cm square box on the wall is the Openreach ONT (green lights on it), then follow the ethernet cable that exits from this - that will lead you to the hub.
Message 9 of 9

Found the hub inside a wooden TV cabinet thing!!   Have persuaded BT to come and visit the vulnerable person tomorrow. Somehow I think I am now embroiled in a saga.

The VP says they told BT that they did not have a mobile phone.

0 Ratings