cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 70

Re: digital voice and draytek vigor 2862

Hi WSH,

Hope you are well, sorry to trouble you again, but BT have just thrown another spanner in the works, I spoke too soon of my  joy with everything working!

Ok as posted previously the settings you provided for BT SH2 and my Draytek 2860Vn+ to work in conjunction with each on my network were fine and worked well.

However, as you aware the Phone was not configured, after many trials and tribulations with BT online and over the mobile phone they determined that it was the SH2, firmware/hardware or both.

New BT SH2 arrived today, plugged in and it immediately configured the phone and with my BT Advanced Z phone plugged in to SH2 we now have a landline after 3 weeks of no land line.

Then went into BT SH2 advanced settings to change as per your recommendations. The snag now is that BT has changed the firmware so that one cannot change default settings, well you can change them, but it will not save them and always reverts back to default settings in particular for the static IP.

So, I need your help please to change the settings on the Draytek 2860Vn+ so that it works with the SH2 and does not clash on the network.

Currently the SH2 is on all default settings or as per your first posting i.e.

DHCP off.  (The addresses here are best set as static addresses).  This is current disabled or off, I was able to make this change and save it. Router itself set to a static IP of 192.168.1.254, (the default). Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24, (also the default). DMZ host set to 192.168.1.2.  This does not apply as I am not using DMZ

In so far as the SH2 is concerned I do not need any further assistance from you, both wireless bands are off and DHCP is disabled as advised.

It’s the settings for the Draytek that I am a tad perplexed with as your first posting appears to have more settings that your second posting settings for this. Your assistance and advice is welcomed.

Thanks again Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 70

If you remember, I inverted the IP settings to save you some work, so my first post will appear to contradict the later ones.

I suggested you set the SH2 to 192.168.0.1 to save yourself some work, but the problem with the SH2 DHCP is that it needs the IP range to be set to the same as the static address even though you are turning it off as, if not, it quietly reverts back to the default without saying anything when you try to save it.  This is the same for all firmware versions that I’ve seen.  The latest firmware, (that I’m using), is v0.43.01.15019 and this is still true.

When you say settings for the Draytek you will have to be more specific and unfortunately I’m just off out.  Please feel free to post but it may be later this evening before I can answer.

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 70

Hi WSH,

Thanks once more for your rapid response see my reply below: -

If you remember, I inverted the IP settings to save you some work, so my first post will appear to contradict the later ones. Ok then I will ignore this for now and follow your advice below again thanks

I suggested you set the SH2 to 192.168.0.1 to save yourself some work, but the problem with the SH2 DHCP is that it needs the IP range to be set to the same as the static address even though you are turning it off as, if not, it quietly reverts back to the default without saying anything when you try to save it.  This is the same for all firmware versions that I’ve seen.  The latest firmware, (that I’m using), is v0.43.01.15019 and this is still true. Ok I changed the SH2 as advised to 192.168.0.1, but once more it will not save. This is because I left the DHCP as is because I do know the range of numbers it has to be changed to being inexperienced in this field.

When you say settings for the Draytek you will have to be more specific and unfortunately I’m just off out.  Please feel free to post but it may be later this evening before I can answer. Let’s ignore this for now as it looks like I have to change the BT SH2 as you state above

Thanks again Hmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 70

Hi WSH

My firmware is the latest version the same as yours so if you can make a change and save those changes then one can only assume I can too Firmware version: v0.43.01.15019-BT.

I just tried again with IP of 192.168.0.1 and a DHCP range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254  but still not able to save changes, more than likely because I used the wrong DHCP range digits.

Thanks Hmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 70

Ah, my mistake…rushing going out.

I meant to say the SH2 should be on 192.168.0.254, as per my original suggestion, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

The range I’ve set is 192.168.0.64 – 192.168.0.253

I would suggest saving that with the DHCP enabled and if it saves correctly then resave it again with the DHCP disabled.

The Draytek should not need any changes from what you had before.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 70

Hi WSH,

Thanks again for your comprehensive and prompt response as always, let it be known to all on the community that you area good man!

Ok we are cooking on gas again with a land line and all network back up through my EWAN port on the Draytek.

Yes wondered what on earth was going earlier with odd ISP advice, despite my lack of knowledge it was not congruent with your earlier advice.

What did the trick was saving settings with DHCP enabled, then going back in, disabling DHCP, saving again then a SH2 reboot.

Thanks again very much appreciated have a good weekend

Hmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 70

Glad to hear it.

DHCP is one of those things in the industry that varies slightly from vendor to vendor.  The DHCP in the SH2 is one of the flakiest I've encountered for a while though.

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 70

Hi WSH,

Flakie is a nice soft word to describe BT DHCP for this forum.

I have stronger words that cannot be used on this forum to describe BT DHCP in conjunction with their IT equipment.

At the moment the fibre contractors are digging up all the streets around our village so that will be the next thing, but I cannot help but think what an absolute waste of time and money. Fibre to the building "OK Bliss" but then a thin copper wire to the BT SH2. Tis like creating the best electrical circuitry in the world and then fitting a massive in  line resistor.

Roll on Fibre optic cables and bespoke fibre routers.

Take care Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 70

The shortness of the cable and the somewhat higher quality than traditional phone cable is a factor.  For example, a cat 6 cable is rated for 1Gb/s out to 100m and will do 10Gb/s up to 55m, so I wouldn't be so fast to write-off copper.

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 70

Hi WSH,

A West Country famer leaning on the gate of his field with a blade of grass hanging out of the side of his mouth in the strongest West Country accent once told me..................

" You beat a good a bit of Fibre boy"

0 Ratings