cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

2nd phone line - main socket location

We have BT Fibre now but I'd like to get a 2nd line to help with the work from home.

We have too many devices on the existing line and it struggles.

I'd need the 2nd master socket located at the other end of the house from the main socket on our existing line.

Will the BT technician locate the new master socket where I want it? Or are there any restrictions on where they will place it?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: 2nd phone line - main socket location

does your existing line come from a pole or underground into your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Sorry I didn't think to mention this.

The existing line comes from a pole.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

When you say your line struggles, what exactly do you mean? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

The existing line is good enough. I am happy with it.

However, we do live streaming and large zoom meetings so I want a dedicated line so that other devices don't restrict the bandwidth.

My question is if I can have the new lines master socket located wherever I need it? 

I don't want it just placed next to the existing master socket as that is not convenient for us.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Can anyone give me info about where a new main socket can be located bringing a 2nd line into the house?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Not really, it will be up to the Openreach engineer on the day and the feasibility and practicality of running a drop wire to your chosen location.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@totalsunwrote:

The existing line is good enough. I am happy with it.

However, we do live streaming and large zoom meetings so I want a dedicated line so that other devices don't restrict the bandwidth.

My question is if I can have the new lines master socket located wherever I need it? 

I don't want it just placed next to the existing master socket as that is not convenient for us.

Cannot answer your second socket location question but, given the above, you appear to be wanting a second internet connection, rather than just a phone line.

Are you really certain your current connection is struggling? It might require instead, some technical adjustment!

What can you tell us about it?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

What is a drop wire?

It is a detached house so if the drop wire is external it should be possible?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Carlusha - the existing internet connection is working fine. 

I should have chosen my words better. 
We need an additional internet connection so we can have one dedicated for our streaming.

But if they can't install it in our office then it really doesn't work for us (even considering internal ethernet and powerline adaptors etc). 

0 Ratings