cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: 5GHz band not working on BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Just did a quick test to confirm - my work phone will connect to my personal phones hotspot with no issues, hotspot is set to 5GHz. Tested this right next to my hub, 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

Having reread this thread I have to come to the conclusion that the SH2 is the problem, but why it also happened with the other 2 SH2s is bewildering. The fact you had your SH2 working fine previously at you previous abode, and on one occasion  where you currently are suggests to me that something has changed and is confusing the SH2 - bt I have no idea what. Did you have the BT box previously?

If you do a factory reset of your SH2 (whilst BT Box turned off) and then try a WiFI scanner (I use WiFi Analyzer by Matt Hafner  - matthafner dot com wifi-analyzer  on my PC but it is also supposed to work on Tablets and Phones) does the 5GHz signal show up at all?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

@Rylow95wrote:

Just did a quick test to confirm - my work phone will connect to my personal phones hotspot with no issues, hotspot is set to 5GHz. Tested this right next to my hub, 

That suggests to me that you need to try a different 5GHz channel (on the SH2), channel 36 is known to be a problem especially if there are any Sky Q networks within range.

Presumably your phone hotspot was not using 36 which could explain why that works and your hub doesn't.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

So I did a reset of the SH2 with the BT TV box turned off, used a WiFi analyser (albeit a different one than the one suggested) and the 5GHz band is not showing up at all. There is a neighbour using 5GHz but it is on Virgin. I did notice that on the analyser that there are no BT 5GHz bands showing up - on mine or neighbours; granted I could be out of range of their 5GHz bands.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

I have tried all available channels on the SH2 for the 5GHz band with no joy.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

Can you go into your hubs Advanced Settings and post a screen shot from Wireless, obscure your SSID and password before posting, it's safe to leave everything else as is

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

Will be interesting to see the Wireless shot as @Les-Gibson suggests.

At this point it does look like the SH2 is faulty (unless the screen shot highlights something else), we should not rule out the possibility of 2 (or more) faults, but 3 faulty SH2s does seem very unlikely.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

Screenshot_20230729_093632_Chrome.jpg

 photo of advanced wireless, I have tried multiple channels and multiple modes. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

I presume you have tried turning the 5GHz off and on  with no change.

I would report the SH2 as faulty not working on 5GHz WiFi at all, based on nothing will connect to it, been reset multiple times  and WiFi scanners show not signal from it at all.

See whether a replacement works, even though you tried 2 from the engineers van, having exactly this fault with multiple SH2s  would really be a big surprise!

Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

@countrypaul  could well be right but there's just one thing bothering me.

You say you have tried at least three SH2s' all with the same result, presumably each one was fitted in the same place (?) which to my mind suggests that either you have been unbelievably unlucky with three hubs or you have one unsuitable location, have you tried moving it? 

0 Ratings