cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Access point question

Basically, I set up the Virgin Media superhub as a wireless access point and connected to the BT SmartHub 2 via an ethernet cable. This worked for over 3 months and then stopped working. I also successfully connected a TP link wireless access point which also stopped working on the other point. I tried to set everything up again from scratch, but without success, after resetting to factory settings on all devices.

1) Main hub (BT SH2): IP address correct, DHCP range does not conflict with secondary hub IP address, smart configuration disabled. LAN ports work when connected to the Hive Home Hub (although DHCP is used).

2) The cable is tested with an ethernet tester and confirmed as normal.

3) The secondary hub (including the access point) is configured with a static IP address outside the DHCP range of the primary hub, firewall disabled.

I can connect to the Virgin hub's WiFi and the access point. This takes a while, and also regularly fails to get an IP address (especially when connecting to the secondary hub/access point via cell phone). The network always shows "no internet".

Any help and thoughts on solving the problem will be appreciated. Could this be a problem with the primary hub recognizing static IP addresses?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Access point question

Bruh.....its bad enough having to use the SuperHub if you are with Virgin let alone trying to re-use it 🤣, how do you find yourself in a situation, Virgin are so militant about having their stuff sent back....

To me this seems like a gateway problem....clients need to know where to look for their internet and that will be just the BT Hub which is usually at 192.168.1.254.

If you enable the DHCP server on the Virgin Super hub im pretty sure it will automatically give its clients its own IP address as the gateway, therefore the clients cannot reach the internet, its was never designed for the config you are trying.

If I was you I would ensure DHCP is switched off on the Super Hub just having the BT Hub as the DHCP server, set your DHCP range starting at 192.168.1.20 leaving 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.19 free to statically assign to other devices such as the Virgin Super hub. So on the Virgin superhub you can now give it a static IP without worrying about the DHCP server on the BTHub conflicting, I would be giving it 192.168.1.5 for example. Now connect the Super Hub to the BT hub via a LAN port and hopefully the DHCP server on the BT Hub is still giving clients connected via the SuperHub their network settings, most importantly DNS and Default Gateway which should both be the IP address of the BT Hub.

Maybe open CMD on one of the devices where it is not working and run 

ipconfig /all

If the default gateway and DNS fields are not showing the IP address of the BT Hub then thats the problem.

I think because you cannot configure the SuperHub in the same way as a device that you would buy for this sort of thing you will need to ensure you are having on LAN. Its a sort of hope for the best scenario, usually on a managed device, like if this was a managed AP or switch you would be telling it the get its IP config via DHCP or Statically, but when statically assigning the IP you would have fields for Default Gateway, you wont be able to do that on the Superhub, so youll need to give it a static IP within the same subnet as the BT Hub but outside of its DHCP range and hope for the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings