cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Access point temporarily full

Go to solution

My BT Home Hub 3 appears not to allow more than 16 wifi devices to be connected. After that I get an "access point temporarily full" message. I have checked the hub settings and the DHCP range is plenty big enough but I can find no setting for a maximum number of wifi connections.  Most of my devices are doing nothing most of the time e.g. amazon echo and smart home devices so they are not overloading the wifi and 16 is nowhere near enogh for a "smart home" where devices are connected but not doing much most of the time. Is there a fixed hard limit set by BT that I cannot change?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Access point temporarily full

Go to solution

@coopz 

Factory reset the home hub 3.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @coopz and welcome back, it's been a while.

I'd go with @Keith_Beddoe advice here and try a reset of the hub. If that doesn't work you might consider upgrading. Let us know if the reset helps.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for the input. Have done the factory reset  twice now and it makes no difference. The hub seems to think it has a 16 device limit on wifi connections. I would just dump the hub (I did that successfully with a Talktalk router on a club network I set up) but it is connected via a separate BT dsl modem which then has a LAN connection to the BT Infinity port on the hub so I'm npt really sure how I replace this setup. You would think BT could clearly state if there is a genuine preset limit so I don't waste my time. I have seen other threads where people have been told by BT there is e.g. a limit of 5! Clearly not true but nevertheless leaves you very uncertain about how the fixed parameters of the hub are actually configured.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

With a separate modem, it is easier to replace the hub. Any router will do, you don't need a modem/router. Alternatively, if you did want a one box solution rather than 2, just get a  combined VDSL modem/router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Many thanks for the advice. I will investigate and most likely go to a complete replacement. I gather then that I plug a VDSL modem/router directly into the BT line then?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Many thanks. Much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @coopz ,

If you do decide to go with a replacement please get back to us and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi all,

Sorry for delay in getting back. I bought a new router straight away but only just installed it today because of Christmas stuff and some family commitments. I am pleased to report that the install went smoothly and today I have successfully connected 19 wifi clients without problems. I don't need that many most of the time but tried to connect everything I could find to test it! Installation of the TP-Link AX1800 router went very smoothly.

Thanks to all who responded for your help.