cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Adding an access point to a BT Hub 4

Go to solution

I want to extend the WiFi from my Hub 4 further down the garden without sapping the WiFi signal capacity elsewhere.

I have an ethernet connection to the garage and want to add the access point next to the window at the back of the garage, thus covering the garden much better. 

If I use something like the 

"TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Passive PoE Power Injector, 10/100M Ethernet Port (TL-WA801N)"

will it function as a separate WiFi network or as an extension of the existing one - thus simplifying the login process for visitors etc.?

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Adding an access point to a BT Hub 4

Go to solution

@Kinggeorge 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Its up to you whether you give it the same SSID and password as your home hub, however its often better to use a separate one for guests.

The WA801N can also be configured as multi SSID, where you can have up to four separate SSIDs, each with its own security, so you can make the main one the same as your home hub, and use one of the others as a guest network. Its a very versatile wireless access point.

You can also use MAC filtering on each SSID to restrict access to specific wireless clients.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Adding an access point to a BT Hub 4

Go to solution
Thanks - settles my mind about what I assume is relatively simple but I don't have the skills for more technical decisions.
0 Ratings