cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Alexa on 2.4Ghz, phone on 5Ghz using BT Fibre - not talking to each other!

So with Old BT Broadband we could choose which frequency devices connected to, but you can't with Fibre as far as I can see. 

I've been trying to set up multiroom sound with Amazon's Alexa, but when my phone app scans for devices it only sees the TV's Firestick. I assume that this is because my phone and the stick are on 5Ghz, and the speakers are on 2.4. 

Anyone managed to solve this issue? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Alexa on 2.4Ghz, phone on 5Ghz using BT Fibre - not talking to each other!

Temporarily turn off 5GHz on the SH2 to force both devices on to 2.4GHz for setup.

Message 3 of 9

if you go to the phone alexa app then devices can you see all your connected devices and which are online/offline?  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@sknight wrote:

So with Old BT Broadband we could choose which frequency devices connected to, but you can't with Fibre as far as I can see. 

I've been trying to set up multiroom sound with Amazon's Alexa, but when my phone app scans for devices it only sees the TV's Firestick. I assume that this is because my phone and the stick are on 5Ghz, and the speakers are on 2.4. 

Anyone managed to solve this issue? 

Being pedantic, its your device which chooses which band to use, not the hub. With previous versions of the hub, it was possible to make the device choose the band by giving the 2 bands different SSIDs. Now they have the same SSID you can only force which band to use by either selecting it on the device (if possible) or turning off one band or the other.

Devices on different bands can communicate with each other as long as they are communicating via the hub, but not directly in ad hoc mode if on different bands.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

this made perfect sense, but didn't work - I could still only see the firestick. Any other ideas?!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Did you save the changes when you temporarily turned off the  5Ghz WiFi?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

yes
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I have numerous Alexa devices and can see then all and whether online or offline regardless of whether connected to 2.4/5ghz

maybe start from alexa device factory reset and then try and connect to hub.. Must admit the Alexa devices appeared to connect without a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

thanks - to be honest we've got so many devices with so many routines etc set up that the thought of factory resetting fills me with dread. I think the answer for now is to turn the speaker in the kitchen up really loud!

0 Ratings