cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Android to Smart Hub 2 wifi connect fails

Hi. Over the last 9 months having BT broadband I am admittedly very happy with the service, having 1 major issue fixed initially and only 2 drop outs since. But....

Over those 9 months I have had a few budget android phones to keep me going and some of them simply fail to connect to Smart Hub 2. Just hanging until  they time out. Done updates on phones and no change. Other phones, new and old, my brothers latest samsungs 20/22 ultra and p30 pro, p20 and others have connected fine. Last week a relatively new Nokia G10 refuses to connect the same way too. 

However, every single phone will connect to a mobile phone hotspot which has been the go around to check the phone is working on wifi, without issue. 

Right now I have a Huawei P Smart hanging to the Hub but connecting fine to the P30 Pro that is connected to it's own 4G data. That phone connected fine to the hub. 

Does anyone know what the general issue is here ?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Android to Smart Hub 2 wifi connect fails

There is no "General Issue" connecting Android phones to the BT Smarthub.

What can cause an issue is the " Smart Set Up" program on the Smarthub which can cause some problems with devices connecting to the hub. Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on theSmarthub and see how you get on. Also make sure that if you have previously connected to any BTWifi hotspot that you delete/forget the connection of the phone until you have connected to your Smarthub.

See link.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

If that doesn't work try changing the Mode:

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-smart-hub-

If you manage to establish a connection with one of the lower modes, try changing back to Mode 1 & hopefully the connection will continue without compromising performance.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If any previous attempts have resulted in your phone remembering your network then tell it to forget it, then (temporarily) turn the 5Ghz carrier off and try connecting again

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Unfortunately none of those nor a mixture of those work. Only think I didnt try, scratch that. tried all of them now smart on and off, mode 1 2 and 3. 5Ghz off the whole time for these tests.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

there is no general issue

seems there is if various devices across a period of time are all having the same issue. In fact I'm not sure how you can outright state there is no general issue when we don't know the cause except the common factors being "wifi" and this bt router. All the devices successfully connect to other wifi without issue.

maybe a security issue or a setting issue, but definitely a general issue, I'd say. with the router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

There is no 'general issue'. Multiple Android phones have no difficulty connecting here. If there was a 'general issue' the forum would be absolutely inundated with posts, it isn't.

Message 8 of 8

@i3ant wrote:

there is no general issue

seems there is if various devices across a period of time are all having the same issue. In fact I'm not sure how you can outright state there is no general issue when we don't know the cause except the common factors being "wifi" and this bt router. All the devices successfully connect to other wifi without issue.

maybe a security issue or a setting issue, but definitely a general issue, I'd say. with the router.

I can say there is "No General Issue" because I have 6 Android devices connected and I have never had any problems and I know other people on Android with no issues and this forum is not exactly inundated with people reporting Android problems, but if you know better please enlighten the forum with what the "general issue" is and how you have evidenced that.