cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Archer VR600 V3 to replace Smart Hub 2

Long story short I have had connection issues for years. I have problem had about 20 engineers out in this time, sometimes they found issues and fixed them, but mostly they tell me they don't know what's wrong even though my connection is dropping constantly. I can go days, weeks or occasionally months without dropping connection a single time at my max speed of around 35-37mbps but then it'll keep dropping over and over, and every time it drops my sync speed drops and I need to reconnect to recover my speed.

I have replaced the network card, all cables, had a replacement SH2 and done a fresh install of Windows just to be safe. I have also done a quiet line test which discovered an issue that was fixed. 

My main question is, how is the Archer VR600 V3 vs the SH2? Is it a hardware upgrade, downgrade or about the same? Could I possibly see a stability increase? I figured it was worth a shot as I can just send it back to Amazon anyway. 

I mostly use my PC via Ethernet but also use my phone/tablet wirelessly. I'm currently on Infinity 2 as I can't get FTTP.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr600/

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Archer VR600 V3 to replace Smart Hub 2

Given that you have already "replaced the network card, all cables, had a replacement SH2 and done a fresh install of Windows just to be safe".  It points to a problem other than the equipment in your property so if there is a fault with your line it won't matter which router you are using, the fault will still be there. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

What are my options then? As I said I have had countless engineers out who all tell me the same thing, they can't find a problem. But obviously if my connection and speed is dropping constantly then something has to be wrong. The last time I reported a fault they just sent me a home tech, not even a proper engineer so he couldn't do anything (he literally just came upstairs, saw that the router was connected properly and left). I don't know why BT would send a home tech to a customer who has a long standing intermittent fault but there you go. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Your options are to get BT to fix the fault.

You have stated that your "connection is dropping constantly " Then you go on to state  " I can go days, weeks or occasionally months without dropping connection a single time at my max speed of around 35-37mbps".

This would appear that it is a very intermittent fault and as you are no doubt aware that those types of fault are very difficult to track down.

It could be that some piece electrical equipment in your house has an intermittent fault/connection that is causing electrical interference that is causing the problem or some outside electrical source could be causing electrical interference.

This type of interference is called REIN or SHINE and can be very difficult but not impossible to track down.

Obviously I have no idea if that is the cause of your problem but it is worth considering and mentioning the next time you complain to BT about the problem.

See link

Broadband: Understanding REIN and SHINE (adsl, broadband, interferrence, intermittent, rein, shine) ...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

The best connection I had was 6 months absolutely rock solid after they replaced the cables going from the pole to my house, that was an all day job and my connection was amazing after. But ever since I maybe get a few weeks where it's good, then it'll become really bad, they'll do a lift and shift which seems to help again for a few weeks then the problem comes back, rinse and repeat. It's very intermittent, it goes from working great to awful in waves. 

Maybe a mod here can help me? I don't want to be sent another home tech as it's just a waste of everyone's time.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

It may be worth thinking about your usage, this could explain why the problem is both long standing and intermittent.

For example, with a max speed of 37 you would be pushing the envelope a bit if you were trying to watch a 4k film on BT TV whilst someone else in the house was playing online games.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I just have the standard Netflix which is 1080p and it's only me in the house, so the connection is barely being used. Most of the time I'm just gaming which uses almost nothing. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Hi @SteveBB,

I'm sorry for the issues you're having with your broadband connection, we can certainly take a look into this for you.

Can you please reply to the PM I've sent you, with the required details and we'll be in touch as soon as we can.

Thanks 

MandyF

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Thank you for responding, I have sent all the information that you have requested. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Regarding the Tp-Link Archer VR600 V3. I replaced my BT Smart Hub 2 with this exact modem router device and can confirm that it has worked flalessly ever since I made the change a year ago for my FTTC connection.  Prior to that I was getting devices dropping off the network and other issues.

Initially I thought it was one of my wirless devices that was causing the issue but after getting a replacement smart Hub 2 sent out and the same issues continuing to happen I decided to do away with the Smart Hub 2 and opted for the Archer VR600 V3 and have never looked back.

I hope this helps

0 Ratings